The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Jumping critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/jumping-critique-154082/)

jumpinggirl 02-19-2013 07:42 PM

Jumping critique

HI! The videos are from my lesson today.
Dublin- 18 year old morgan gelding. He is mostly used for dressage but does do some jumping. He's a wee bit out of shape but if he was in shape he could probably jump three feet on a good day. Him and I get along very well and I really enjoy riding him. I do have a hard time jumping him sometimes though because when he takes the long distance he can jump kindof weird. ANYWAYS I haven't been doing a lot of courses or jumping the last month so this is the first time I have really gotten "back in the saddle". Critique the horse, or me, or both, be as mean as you like because I want to get better.

LostDragonflyWings 02-20-2013 01:42 AM

You look like a pretty nice rider. One thing that stuck out is that your lower leg slips (more like swings) back over some of the fences. Your toe looks oddly poked out and you might be also gripping at the knee. Release your knees and wrap with your legs while stretching your heels down and really focus on your lower leg while over the fences. Your release looked okay for some fences, but for other fences it looks like you are just tipping your body over your hands and not really releasing. At first, it looked like your arms were stiff on the flat, but I don't think they are. It didn't look too had at all, but I could see you inching forward with your body when approaching the fence, so just make sure you are waiting and not anticipating the fence too much.

You guys are a good pair!

jumpinggirl 02-20-2013 11:41 AM

Thank you! Do you think no stirrup work would help?

LostDragonflyWings 02-20-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinggirl (Post 1903830)
Thank you! Do you think no stirrup work would help?

No stirrup work can always help! ;)
Also, you can practice your two-point on the flat (both with and without stirrups).

Poneigh 02-20-2013 04:59 PM

i think 2pt work would definitely help you w. lower leg strength so your leg doesnt swing back...you can do it on the flat and over cavelleti or a small gymastic!

jumpinggirl 02-21-2013 10:01 AM

Thanks everyone! I will definitely do that.

ceebarbay 02-26-2013 10:28 AM

You look to be a very nice and natural rider. One thing I would point out is it appears your are grabbing with you knee. Stretch down into your heels (doing a lot of 2 point in each gait) and up through your spine. Very nice ride :)