The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   TB hunter jumper prospect (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/tb-hunter-jumper-prospect-154085/)

Cweaver 02-19-2013 08:06 PM

TB hunter jumper prospect

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, found this mare and I REALLY like her. However, I'm not hardcore looking, just skimming every now and again. She has been started over fences. I would post the link but I have to say I wouldn't want someone else buying her from under me;)

Ad:
Elegant dark Bay 6 yo Registered TB mare. Sweet, calm & kind disposition. In Hunter Jumper training past 2 months, still in training doing great. She is a natural jumper, willing & brave. Really listens to your seat and legs. Light in the mouth. Great top line. Already doing auto lead changes, nice mover, is not spooky. She wants to be a show horse. She has also been rode in western tack. You can ride her in the arena, trails & pasture. I will get more video soon, as her training progress. Great pedigree. A real pleasure to work with, polite ground manners. No bad habits, sound and healthy, current on everything. She has strong hooves (barefoot), good legs/conformation. I can send more pictures & videos. Call or email for questions or apt. to try her out. A good home for this sweet girl.

Sorry guys, I know this is no confo shot, but obviously I cant get better ones atm. Anything to say about the one photo I have? Shes not my horse, Im not deadest, I wont be offended. Thanks:)

Cweaver 02-19-2013 08:06 PM

Personally, I LOVE her butt and her badass brown coloring;)

lilruffian 02-19-2013 08:19 PM

Yes, she has a Quarter Horsey bum :D Very nice.
Honestly, there is not much to pick apart here. She's fairly well built. Only thing i can really say is that her neck needs muscle and her cannons are long. Apart from that, i see no glaring faults.

Cweaver 02-19-2013 08:33 PM

I couldn't agree more, thank you so much:) Biggest issue are her cannons, her pasterns aren't as long as I was expecting since shes a TB. How will having long cannons effect her in the long run?

sarahver 02-19-2013 08:42 PM

I'd really like to see a shot of her standing square, looking ahead. From front, side, and back if possible.

Her weight is not distributed very well in this shot - makes it hard to truly gauge the angles/lengths that we like to scrutinize ;)

Lovely calm face and alert gaze, that's a good start.

Cweaver 02-19-2013 08:43 PM

Hah if I could get more pics you bet I would! Im pretty anxious to see more:)

Cweaver 02-19-2013 09:41 PM

Anyone know about effects of long pasterns? Should this keep me from buying her altogether? I wont be doing crazy high heights or eventing.

sarahver 02-19-2013 10:47 PM

Bear in mind that the ideal length of pastern in a TB is roughly 30% to 50% of the length of the cannon bone. Though her position is awkward, I wouldn't think that she would exceed 50%. Admittedly, she is towards the longer end of the scale.

Generally speaking, the longer the pastern, the weaker the joint, less ideal for high level jumping and high impact endeavours.

Cweaver 02-19-2013 11:04 PM

Thank you very much!

Ray MacDonald 02-19-2013 11:11 PM

Presonally I like her a lot! I think the cannon and pasturn length are a tad on the longer side, but she is a TB and not a QH. I don't think it would impact her at all.

I know that they would breed for shorter cannon bones for racehorses as it would help them run faster, easier. They bred fancy riding horses to have a longer cannon bone as it makes the ride smoother such as a Walking horse etc.