The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle size conversion.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-size-conversion-154113/)

Muppetgirl 02-20-2013 01:00 AM

Saddle size conversion....

Ok, can someone give me a 'list' of comparative sizes between English and western saddles? For example a 17" English saddle is equivalent to a ?" Western saddle......

Also, can anyone give me a good explanation of the different tree sizes in English saddles.......

It's been a long time since I've sat in an English saddle and was thinking of getting a GP saddle to pop on my horse every now and again for a change.....

Can anyone recommend tree size for a wide shouldered/low withered horse?

Just to give me an idea of what I might or might not want:-). My horse was difficult to fit a reining saddle on, so I suspect an English saddle might give me the same grief:-)

Thanks!

Ps. Must add, have spent many many hours in English saddles......only ever had to buy two of them.....about 15 years ago!!!! I've gone blank!

SorrelHorse 02-20-2013 01:31 AM

Well, I'm not sure what the exact measurement is...

I need a 15'' reining saddle, a 13.5 barrel saddle, and a 15.5 english saddle suits me fine if that helps!

Also subbing because I'm curious about the real conversion formula. :lol:

waresbear 02-20-2013 01:33 AM

A 17" English saddle would be equal to a 15" Western, generally speaking.

SorrelHorse 02-20-2013 02:53 AM

:rofl: Wares, I'm way off then.

WildAcreFarms 02-20-2013 04:42 AM

Yep that was my thoughts 17" english is the same is a 15" western which normally fits kids or very slim adult women. 17.5 is the standard size average English seat
and 18 is a larger seat (16" western) for larger ppl taller men heavier ladies
plus size english riders usually get a 19" seat and many tall slim riders will get a 19" in a jumping saddle....

franknbeans 02-20-2013 09:00 AM

Well, I also don't fit the mold-I have a 16" reining saddle and my AP English was a 17". Same goes for my BO.......

As far as fitting a wide horse-I had an older Stubben for years-medium/wide tree and it fit my Clyde cross.......then I got a Bates CAIR, which was great also, since it was adjustable.

Saddlebag 02-20-2013 09:14 AM

The better english saddles are easier to fit than western because they are available in a wider range of widths than western.

freia 02-20-2013 11:54 AM

Generally, you add 2" to your Western saddle size to get your English size. That's ballpark.

For tree widths: A medium tree has a tree-point angle pretty close to 90, medium/narrow and narrow have tighter angles, and med/wide and wide have more open angles. Some saddle-makers also have x-tra wide and XX wide sizes.
Keep in mind that in addition to the tree angle, you also have various widths of the gullet. So a medium tree in one brand may fit tighter around the withers than a medium width in another. I have a medium Passier and a medium Kieffer. Both have a 90 angle between tree points. The Passier has lots of width for the withers, while the Kieffer tens to sit much narrower and higher up.
Also, when you're shopping, keep in mind that what one saddle-maker calls a medium can be very different from what another calls a medium. There is no standard. People often will know that their horse takes a 31cm tree (med/wide) in a Stubben. That doesn't mean that they can go out and buy a 31cm tree or a med/wide in another brand and have it fit, because another brand's 31cm tree may have shorter or longer tree points, making the angle different, or their idea of a med'wide may have a narrower gullet, making it pinch, etc.

Muppetgirl 02-20-2013 12:07 PM

Ok thanks everyone, that info will work;)

One question here, my reining saddle is 17", I can ride in a 15" but I've always liked the extra room in a saddle, that's why I bought a saddle with a bigger seat as I don't like the feeling of being held/locked in, I like to be able to move;)

Wanting a more open seat in an English saddle, I'd probably be better looking for a jumping saddle with a lower cantle right? As I love the lower cantle in reining saddles. I would like to jump my guy for fun at some point;)

freia 02-20-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1903799)
Ok thanks everyone, that info will work;)

One question here, my reining saddle is 17", I can ride in a 15" but I've always liked the extra room in a saddle, that's why I bought a saddle with a bigger seat as I don't like the feeling of being held/locked in, I like to be able to move;)

Wanting a more open seat in an English saddle, I'd probably be better looking for a jumping saddle with a lower cantle right? As I love the lower cantle in reining saddles. I would like to jump my guy for fun at some point;)

In an English saddle, you do not want to go with a seat that's too big for you. It won't support you well, and will mess up your position. So if you like a more open feelm then a flatter seat will probably be your thing. the jumping saddles do have the flatter seats. It's really difficult to get out of the seat and into the correct jump position in a deep-seated saddle. Many A/P saddles also have pretty flat seats, especially the older ones. Don't rule out an older German, English, or Swiss A/P saddle.