The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Barrel racing in Oregon/Washington help! (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/barrel-racing-oregon-washington-help-154115/)

mollymay 02-20-2013 02:08 AM

Barrel racing in Oregon/Washington help!

Hey so I'm new to the forums :) I've been reading them for a while but finally started to post! My big question to all is where to begin when barrel racing- as for events. I live I. Oregon and I've been riding western most of my life. I'm in my twenties and have been working close with a trainer braking horses. My current horse trigger, I have been training on barrels. He is not ready for any kind Of serious competing, but I want to get his feet at least a little wet this summer. I don't want to be completely green when we start competing for real. Please help if you know of a great place to start in Oregon/Washington. Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 02-20-2013 03:02 AM

Which area are you in? If you are doing both Oregon and Washington I'm assuming you are closer to the border. Around here we have SOBRA (Southern Oregon Barrel Racing Assn) and Sherrifs Possee/Trail Dust gymkhanas for the most part.

I know Central Oregon has an association similar to SOBRA, called COBRA. Maybe the Northern district does too? Also check into an BRN4D races.

I would message BarrelRacingLvr. She lives in WA and races in Oregon as well, probably closer to your area than me.

mollymay 02-20-2013 01:10 PM

Thanks a ton! I live about 30 mins from Vancouver so yes real close to the boarder, but I'm willing to travel a few hours if need be. I have been searching online for gymkhanas but have had zero luck. I know that canby has a barrel club but wasn't sure if it was a smart place to start. Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 02-20-2013 06:08 PM

From what I understand the Canby series is a good one. I've never ran there myself but I have friends that do. Travelling a long ways unless you plan on winning your money back which is really hard to do, or if you're lucky enough to have that money to blow. Hehe.

crimsonsky 02-20-2013 06:19 PM

i know this place does some of that stuff (sorry i'm an english rider so if i'm really off i apologize!): Para Hevea Equine Facility - Team Sorting, Team Penning, Barrel Racing and Horse Boarding

BarrelRacingLvr 02-21-2013 12:23 PM

Yes for sure go check out the BRN4D Race Schedule they have lots of races.

Now Scappoose shouldn't be to far from you, and Strobles Arena is a blast to go to.
Stroble's Arena

And here are some other places also....

A super nice arena in Salkum WA, a bit further to drive but a great producer and arena.
Rocky Top Arena - Barrel Racing Facility - Washington State

Races in Vancouver
Clark County Saddle Club :: Home

That is all I can think of right now at the top of my head....but check out the BRN4D site and NBHA also.

mollymay 02-21-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks I appreciate the info :) yeah scappoose isn't to far of a drive from me totally doable.
Posted via Mobile Device

mollymay 02-21-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1904394)
From what I understand the Canby series is a good one. I've never ran there myself but I have friends that do. Travelling a long ways unless you plan on winning your money back which is really hard to do, or if you're lucky enough to have that money to blow. Hehe.

Yeah I went a while back and watched them at canby. Its not that far for me :) pulling a trailer it would be at most an hour. I just really want to start somewhere that's small that way trigger doesn't flipout ha ha
Posted via Mobile Device

Gidget 02-24-2013 12:32 AM

Here is southern Oregon we have many events....SOBRA,TRAIL DUST,ESTRAMADOES,BRUSHRIDERS,SHERIFF POSSEE....there may be some smaller ones but all those you can win some money or prizes.

mollymay 02-24-2013 12:48 AM

Cool thanks! I'm in the Gresham area so that's a bit of a drive but once I have my own horse trailer and I'm not renting one I'll totally be down for traveling long distances :)
Posted via Mobile Device