The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   New foster dog, gorgeous purebred. (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/new-foster-dog-gorgeous-purebred-154124/)

Nightside 02-20-2013 07:51 AM

New foster dog, gorgeous purebred.

Some of you make money getting green horses, putting the training in them, and selling them. Well, that's what I do with dogs! I find the ones people cant keep (or word of mouth and they find me) and some need rescuing as much as they do training. I've had dogs that were more mats than fur, and dogs scared of their own shadow. My daughter is off to grandmas for a week so I picked up a gorgeous blue tick coon hound.

So far, the list of bad habits are baying when confined, jumping up on people, bolting, invading personal space, and zero leash manners. He is a big, strong boy, so it is not okay! Not that I tolerate that stuff in the little dogs, either.

So with a new name and training starting first thing today, meet Boone. I'll update with more pictures and some training videos if you guys are curious.

Last year (from November to November) I rescued/rehabbed/fostered, whatever you want to call it, about 150 dogs. If I had the time for paperwork I'd want to do the 501(c)3 status but it is probably more trouble than it is worth. I also have a website but it hasn't been updated since I moved. No internet in country. ;)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...219_211131.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 02-20-2013 08:16 AM

he sure is beautiful, great for you, looking forward to updates.

Nightside 02-20-2013 12:38 PM

Day One

First things first, I let him out to run with Khan. Khan is my alpha dog, but he's not the overly aggressive type. He will politely and quietly keep the other dogs in check. Asking a dog with pent up energy to learn something is like givinga kid Starbucks and asking them to study fractions.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...220_092036.jpg

Once all the sillies were out, he had breakfast and a small rest, and we started work. Jumping is a big no no and in his case, earns him a sharp knee to the chest. This doesn't work on all dogs but it seems to be getting the point across with him.

I fit him in a basic choke chain, as he has learned not only to jerk people around on a leash, but back out of a flat collar if you try to make him do something he doesn't want. Choke collars are a bit harder to back out of. Keep in mind that you shouldn't keep constant pressure, the idea isn't to actually choke them.

As we go for a walk, each time he pulls or gets ahead of me (keep in mind he is on about 2 and a half feet of leash. He isn't getting a running start on the pull!) He is stopped and asked to sit. He already knows the command, so no sit, and I pop the leash. Again, not to choke or hurt him, a quick, light jerk, and lots of praise when he sits. The entire walk takes about 15 minutes and by the end of it, he is sitting when asked and rarely steps ahead of me. His shoulders should he at my leg. I moved in front of him to take the picture but he is made to sit beside me.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...220_120430.jpg

Once we get home, he is asked to sit quietly while I open and close the gate, more praise, and is let off to rest and relax. Not a bad start at all. I don't believe in treats for training. I am the alpha, not a treat dispenser and I'm not bribing them for good behavior. Toys or praise are just as good for motivation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 02-20-2013 01:27 PM

Good Boy!

Cacowgirl 02-20-2013 02:37 PM

He's a handsome fellow-sounds like you're already making progress.Don't know why people don't understand that our animal companions need training to make them beloved companions.

Nightside 02-20-2013 02:43 PM

Thanks guys! He's a clutz, but he isn't a dumb dog. I used to offer free, private dog obedience classes when I worked near a dog park. I would get off a 3 day shift at 9 or 10 am, train a dog or two, then go home. While I had a few nice, appreciative people, the one that aggravated the crap out of me was someone who wanted his weimeraner leash trained. On the first lesson, 5 minutes into it, he gets in his car, turns the AC on, and watches from across the park. Should have guessed he wasn't interested when he showed up in his designer jeans and yacked on his cell phone for those first 5 minutes. Felt bad for the dog but I east wasting my time with FREE lessons if the people aren't willing to put in an ounce of effort.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nightside 02-21-2013 03:11 PM

Day Two

We worked more on the leash, and he hardly pulled at all during the walk. Once he is more reliable I will put him back to the flat collar so he knows he can't go right back to being a nut without the chain on. He is coming when calleda bit better. For that, most people just don't understand dogs to teach them recall. For him, I crouch, and pat the ground to invite him over to play, and he comes running. He is a total goof.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 02-21-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightside (Post 1903553)
Some of you make money getting green horses, putting the training in them, and selling them. Well, that's what I do with dogs! I find the ones people cant keep (or word of mouth and they find me) and some need rescuing as much as they do training. I've had dogs that were more mats than fur, and dogs scared of their own shadow. My daughter is off to grandmas for a week so I picked up a gorgeous blue tick coon hound.

So far, the list of bad habits are baying when confined, jumping up on people, bolting, invading personal space, and zero leash manners. He is a big, strong boy, so it is not okay! Not that I tolerate that stuff in the little dogs, either.

So with a new name and training starting first thing today, meet Boone. I'll update with more pictures and some training videos if you guys are curious.

Last year (from November to November) I rescued/rehabbed/fostered, whatever you want to call it, about 150 dogs. If I had the time for paperwork I'd want to do the 501(c)3 status but it is probably more trouble than it is worth. I also have a website but it hasn't been updated since I moved. No internet in country. ;)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...219_211131.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

The two bolded statements seem to be the root of the issue - if you are doing this as a way to "make money" you would not qualify for 501C status. Do you mean to say you re-home them, or are you selling the dogs at the end of your work?

Nightside 02-21-2013 03:25 PM

It depends on how much I put into them. Somei have adopted out in exchange for a bag of dog food, but 100 is about the max, regardless of purebred/papers/etc, that covers a voucher to have them fixed, shots updated, dewormed, and training, plus a little extra. While I realize the goal of a nonprofit is not to get rich, I also realize most 'rescues' are financial disasters.
Posted via Mobile Device

enh817 02-21-2013 03:59 PM

I love him!
I'm partial though, being a Tennessee Volunteer and highly devoted Smokey fan :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_(mascot)