The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What do you take to 4-H? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-do-you-take-4-h-154133/)

ryster2000 02-20-2013 10:32 AM

What do you take to 4-H?

Well, the title is a bit confusing, but what I am saying is "What items do you keep handy when doing 4-H?" Also, what tips do you have to make everything run smoothly?

busysmurf 02-20-2013 10:50 AM

Keep a binder with a with a notebook, a yearly calander, and a sealable envelope for receipts!!! Put your project handbooks in there also, so you can quickly reference any rules or requirements you may have. Record EVERYTHING you do that has anything to do with your projects. Keep track of any meetings, clinics, lesson, community service, etc. including how much time you spent at each. That makes your record book sooo much easier!

Bring a cheap camera to events, take pictures and have others take pictures of you. They work great for fair projects, record books, all sorts of stuff.

Hope that helps!

ryster2000 02-21-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busysmurf (Post 1903682)
Keep a binder with a with a notebook, a yearly calander, and a sealable envelope for receipts!!! Put your project handbooks in there also, so you can quickly reference any rules or requirements you may have. Record EVERYTHING you do that has anything to do with your projects. Keep track of any meetings, clinics, lesson, community service, etc. including how much time you spent at each. That makes your record book sooo much easier!

Bring a cheap camera to events, take pictures and have others take pictures of you. They work great for fair projects, record books, all sorts of stuff.

Hope that helps!

that helps alot, but I was wondering like what...um, things they brought for emergencies or to just be prepared? They garlands aren't good deco. because of the hassle-

GamingGrrl 02-21-2013 02:26 PM

Are you asking about meetings and events or shows/fair?
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 02-21-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 1905601)
Are you asking about meetings and events or shows/fair?
Posted via Mobile Device

This - knowing a bit more about what you are asking will help guide answers.
When my daughter attends meetings/clinics with her horse we have a "first aid" kit that has human and horse supplies. We also make sure we have extra tack items and emergency repair supplies for anything that might break.
For fair week/shows the kits expand a bit and we add extra things that are fair/show specific.

equiniphile 02-21-2013 04:41 PM

To be honest, it really depends on the area and the individual club. Our county is very laid back. They don't host any clinics, meetings are very informal and the kids all keep folders that I (VP) and the club President make up for them. They're not required to take notes/minutes. However, I know other clubs outside of our area are a lot stricter and require more.