The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse Treats?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-treats-154143/)

Diamond Sutcliff 02-20-2013 12:46 PM

Horse Treats??

I greatly apologize if this has been created already, but I couldn't find anything else on this topic.

Anyway, I'm starting lessons again tomorrow and I want to make some home made treats for my future friends. I have two recipes, but they will prove difficult since I don't have oats. Does anyone have suggestions for the everyday cooking teen??

Here are the recipes, if anyone wants to try them:

2 cups of flour
1 cup of oats
1/4 cup of molasses
10 crushed peppermints
2 apples

Mix flour and oats together. Add molasses if the mixture is not doughy. Add water slowly until it is doughy. Add peppermints and apples. Cook until golden brown at 350 degrees.

Delicious Munchies

1 cup dry oats
1 cup shredded carrots and apples (or either or)
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup molasses
Little less than a 1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients first then add everything else. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Your horses will enjoy then very much! Keep in fridge until ready to give to your 4 legged friend!

Enjoy, and at help is appreciated.

verona1016 02-20-2013 01:00 PM

I tried baking treats a couple times, but found that the horses appreciated plain old apples and carrots more and didn't care how much care and love I put into it (spoiled horses! :-P) And the horse that I have now loves alfalfa cubes more than anything else I've offered him.

I used the "Horse Cookies" recipe from this page: Horse Cookie Recipes

nuisance 02-20-2013 01:28 PM

I had some apples that was getting old. I cut them in 1/4ths. only one out the 3 would eat them,

Diamond Sutcliff 02-20-2013 03:09 PM

Well, even if they don't care for them, at least I'll have some snacks!!!

Can horses eat honey if I substitute it or molasses??