The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Sick dog? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/sick-dog-154174/)

Stichy 02-20-2013 05:25 PM

Sick dog?

So...we wormed our dog Phobie and we used a different type of wormer than usual, and all the sudden she is acting...I don't know how to explain it...I guess dizzy would be the best answer? It's weird. When she stands, she kinda weaves (as mom called it). Kinda like when you're dizzy and you can't stand still so you are kinda waving around? I honestly don't know how to explain it. She also puked up the wormer (all over my bed too...nice) she pretty much just sleeps. Honestly, the best way to explain it is when you have the flu, and you sleep all day and when you finally get up you're dizzy. I know you guys are going to say "Take her to the vet" or "don't ask us" or something like that, but I can't convince mom to! She says its just because its chemicals in her body getting rid of worms, but I don't knwo :/ I love my little dog, and I don't want her to be sick! I don't know if mom measured the right amount in her food, and she might have gotten into the cats wormer, we don't know. Any tips/help? Has this happened to one of you guys before? Is it serious? She is a miniature pinscher if that helps.

Speed Racer 02-20-2013 05:39 PM

How long has it been since your mother gave her the dewormer? Definitely sounds as if she got too much, or she's having a bad reaction to the new stuff.

Stichy 02-20-2013 05:43 PM

I think on Monday, but the weird thing is she wasn't acting like that on monday, it was Tuesday night...maybe it took time to take effect, I don't know

Speed Racer 02-20-2013 05:48 PM

Yes, whatever she didn't throw up had time to absorb into her system. If she's not better soon, your mother really needs to take her to a vet.

What happened is your dog either got an overdose or is allergic to this particular dewormer. Neither is a good option, and the longer your mom waits to take her to a vet the worse internal damage could be happening.

Basically, your dog is reacting to poison in her system.

Stichy 02-20-2013 05:49 PM

Ok, thank you! So how long do you think until we should take her to the vet? I want to take her now, but thats apparently not an option.

Speed Racer 02-20-2013 05:57 PM

I'd say if she's not better by tomorrow, it's time for her to see the vet.

Stichy 02-20-2013 06:06 PM

Ok, thanks!! I hope my mom considers it...

Stichy 02-20-2013 06:09 PM

Ok, when I was just petting her, I stopped and moved my hand and she FREAKED! She freaks out if she runs into things...do you think it's because she's dizzy?

WSArabians 02-20-2013 08:08 PM

If this were my dog, I'd be calling the emergency vet in.

cakemom 02-20-2013 08:40 PM

Is she a collie and is it an ivermectin based drug?
Posted via Mobile Device