The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Best Bits For Jumping????? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/best-bits-jumping-154193/)

good golly ollie 02-20-2013 08:37 PM

Best Bits For Jumping?????

I have a horse that has been ridden both English and Western. He also jumps. He has been ridden Western for 3 years now and I am training him to go back to English. I have been working him back into jumping on the ground and I want to start putting a bridle on him so he will get use to jumping with a bridle on again. I have been riding him on ground in English for a little while now and I am wondering if any one has any recommendations for a bit that works best with a horse that is just getting back in to jumping again???? He is kind of sensitive in the mouth so please no strong bits but also please no really soft bits!!!!!! Please and Thank you!!
From,
Hailey and Oliver :-)

ponypile 02-20-2013 08:48 PM

The same one you've been riding him English in on the flat. Basically you want the softest bit that fits his mouth well and he responds to appropriately. A well trained horse should respond to the same bit the same way no matter the situation.

jumpinggirl 02-21-2013 10:16 AM

Snaffles are the way to go! but I agree with ponypile that you want to stay with the bit you've been using when riding english. Just use the softest bit you can get away with because bitting up your horse won't make him happy when he's jumping. If he is getting fast when jumping don't use a harsher bit either, do a lot of circles and exercises and trot jumps a lot. Also halting after the jump is a good way to train. Hope I helped!

PunksTank 02-21-2013 12:48 PM

Snaffles are very vague - personally my bit of choice is french link or lozenge style, double jointed snaffles. With either Full cheek or D-rings (I prefer, but sometimes loose rings help). I personally really dislike single jointed snaffles, I haven't found many horses who prefer a single joint over a double joint. I completely agree with PonyPile it doesn't matter what your doing, your horse should respond to the same bit, if he doesn't he needs better training not a stronger bit.

roxxy 02-21-2013 01:37 PM

Yup, agree same bit as what you use to ride english, just because you jump doesnt mean you need a different bit :)

Corporal 02-21-2013 01:51 PM

Although I train with and ride with a full-cheek snaffle, I wouldn't trust a Hunter that had to be ridden with one. If you cannot turn easily with a D-ring, then your horse will need more groundwork.

MyBoyPuck 02-24-2013 07:36 PM

Every horse is different. Mine goes best in an egg butt snaffle with a middle french link or logzene piece. Be careful not to try anything too strong in the beginning. Overbitting can easily backfire into a horse who completely blows through your aids. Try to work through any issues through riding before moving to a stronger bit.