The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Moving up (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/moving-up-154197/)

EventingxxElise 02-20-2013 08:53 PM

Moving up

I am currently competing intro at events and placing in the top two. at jumper shows i do 2'7 and i place in the top 5's. I'm starting off my eventing season beginner novice in May. i hope to school alot during the summer and hopefully compete novice in the fall. my pony is going strong but he is going to be 19 years old and i have only been riding for 2 1/2 years. would going novice push us too far?

Strange 02-21-2013 02:21 AM

Just listen to your pony. When he's done and feels like he's being pushed too hard he'll definitely let you know! 19 is getting up there in years for a horse, but if you listen to him and take the time to keep him fit and pay special attention to his needs then I think you'll be alright. I rode a 26 y/o horse at the preliminary level (schooling intermediate) a couple years ago and he was still going strong! Heck, he ran his last two-star when he was 21!

gypsygirl 02-21-2013 08:40 AM

well first see how beginner novice is going before you think about novice

albertaeventer 02-21-2013 01:40 PM

I don't think it's a bad goal, definitely attainable if you go about it the right way and listen to your horse. If you and your horse are totally rocking the beginner novice stuff later this summer, I would go for it. It's a bit of a jump from beginner novice to novice here in Canada though, not sure what it's like in the states though. Make sure your horse is totally comfortable schooling all sorts of novice questions (banks, ditches, water) before moving up, but I think that goes without saying. What does your instructor think?

EventingxxElise 02-21-2013 06:11 PM

Also

Just needed to add that we've schooled through novice:-)

EventingxxElise 02-21-2013 06:13 PM

Thanks for the advice and i subbed to you on youtube

albertaeventer 02-22-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EventingxxElise (Post 1906021)
Thanks for the advice and i subbed to you on youtube

No problem! I hope it goes well:-) Will sub you back!