The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Interested in showjumping... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/interested-showjumping-1542/)

Mathew 04-14-2007 11:43 PM

Interested in showjumping...

Hi i am really interested in showjumping but i dont know where to start. Can anyone please tell me.

meggymoo 04-15-2007 05:36 AM

Hi,
Do you have a trainer/instructor? :)

Mathew 04-16-2007 12:31 AM

No i have never actually done jumping in competition and i use to do riding lesson but i now have a thoroughbred and have been jumping in the yard and would like to compete...And no i dont have a trainer or instructor.

~*Hunter_Gurlie*~ 04-19-2007 05:23 PM

then it would probably be a good idea to get one to start of with.

meggymoo 04-20-2007 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathew
No i have never actually done jumping in competition and i use to do riding lesson but i now have a thoroughbred and have been jumping in the yard and would like to compete...And no i dont have a trainer or instructor.

If you dont want to get a trainer, do you have any friends who jump? Maybe they could help? :)
I'd suggest getting a trainer, even if its just for a few lessons. But saying that, when I was a child :oops: My friends and I taught our selves to jump, and I didnt have a jumping lesson till I was about 15yrs old. And I'd already been competing for about 6 years, and had done really well :wink:

Mathew 04-21-2007 08:19 PM

Thanks guys i asked my friends at school and they told me a ponyclub that i can learn to become a better jumper at .....thanks heaps

meggymoo 04-22-2007 04:06 AM

Aww good for you. :wink: Keep us posted how you get on. :D

Bourbon St. 06-24-2007 06:52 PM

You really shouldn't go straight into showjumping unless you have done hunters over fences( 2ft to 4ft), have a instructor that has been quaified to teach showjumping or competes in showjumping themselves, and the horse that is able to do it.

OneStride 06-24-2007 07:31 PM

Bourbon St., I think that really only applies if you're in the US. If you live outside the US, Hunters the way you and I know hunters aren't the same. :wink:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ShowJumping in the UK for example has levels (different heights) which are: British Novice, DIscovery, Members, Newcomers and Fox Hunters (.90m, 1.00m, 1.10m,1.10m and 1.20m respectively.). There aren''t any hunters, equitation, etc. as there are in the US. The only way to go is Show Jumping :D

Classical_Hand 06-26-2007 10:50 AM

Find a trainer. He/She'll point you in the right direction and help you improve from what you've taught yourself already.