The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   I'm Looking For a Saddle. Help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/im-looking-saddle-help-154257/)

shannonrowlett2013 02-21-2013 03:38 PM

I'm Looking For a Saddle. Help?

Okay so I'm looking for a saddle. It must be a jumping saddle with a changeable gullet or flexi tree (Not used one with a flexi before but I must be able to change the fit) and it must be on a UK website so I can pay with pounds. No used saddles though please and it must be under 450. I'll give a Carrot Cake to the person that finds the one I buy :-).

Golden Horse 02-21-2013 03:53 PM

Hi there, welcome to the forum:D

What size saddle do you need, and why no second hand ones, there are some stonking deals on good used saddles

shannonrowlett2013 02-21-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 1905725)
Hi there, welcome to the forum:D

What size saddle do you need, and why no second hand ones, there are some stonking deals on good used saddles

I wouldn't mind buying a second hand saddle from a website such as eBay or Ride Away but it would have to be in good condition and it would be easier to buy a new one from a website like Robinsons because I wouldn't be able to buy it straight away and things can sell suprizingly quickly on eBay. Oh and I need a 16" or 16.5" I forgot to put that *lol*

unclearthur 02-23-2013 02:17 PM

If I were you I'd avoid anything that says 'flexible tree' and stick to something with an interchangeable gullet.

A few (cheaper) saddle brands advertise 'flexible tree - fits most horses' but it's just a gimmick that doesn't really work. If the tree flexes enough to fit from a medium to an extra-wide (for example) it'll rock on the horse and potentially give it a sore back.

Personally I'd keep my eye open for a Thorowgood T6 (Whittaker) jumping saddle which they did in a 16 1/2", has a changeable gullet, a decent panel which can be flocked to fit, and shouldn't break the bank if you can find a used one. Unfortunately it looks like they've stopped making them now :(