The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   The folding technique, will it come as jumps increase? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/folding-technique-will-come-jumps-increase-154273/)

katievit 02-21-2013 04:32 PM

The folding technique, will it come as jumps increase?

Hey,

So I'v been riding on and off throughout my life, much of which was hacking and took riding up again at University earlier this year. I had never jumped until now (apart from one awful attempt which we wont count). I'v had four jumping lessons at uni and was wondering if anyone could help me. Apparently I don't 'fold' but everything else is fine.

I am also confused about what level I am, in the uni lessons I'm down as intermediate but surely my jumping would make me a novice?

Here's a link to a youtube video of me jumping small jumps
Can you tell me what I need to do, or will the folding come as the jumps get bigger?

Jensride 02-21-2013 10:10 PM

I could not see your jumping position very well in this video. You are correct though, when the fences become larger his bigger jumping effort is what will fold you over the jump....as you approach, you will sit back , when he lifts up, your body will fold naturally. I recommend to do as much work as you can over smaller fences i.e. cross rails, ect ....it will only help your position for larger fences. Gymnastic style lines are great for you and your horse as well. Happy jumping!

Copperhead 02-21-2013 11:21 PM

I would probably mark you as an experienced beginner. Don't worry about it. This is only your 4th lesson, you shouldn't be so concerned about your position.

The "fold" is when your hip closes over the jump. Your hip should still be open at 2 point and as you hold that position, the horse will rise up beneath you. Your legs should obsorb the motion and you're hip will close. You will know if it doesn't, because the landing will pop you out of the saddle.

In order for you to really "feel", you need to go higher so the horse has more motion. Right now it looks like they put you on a mount who has very little motion at all and thats because you are a beginner at this. They need to build your confidence and anchor before they put you on anything else.

A good exercise to do by yourself (or maybe suggest it to your instructor) would be "winged victory into 2point". Try it on a horse at the halt first. Do winged victory without the reins, and close your hip into 2point, then back up to winged victory.

"Winged Victory" is an exercise where you stand up in your stirrups with your leg, hip, shoulders and head in alignment and remained balanced there. In order to remain balanced, you have to be in perfect alignment. When you figure this out, you keep your legs the same and simply "fold" at the hips into 2point. You are doing 2point correctly when you can remained balanced without the use of your arms propping you up.

This exercise can be done at a halt, or at the walk, trot or canter and its a pretty good exercise if you want to "feel" the close your hip needs over a jump without actually jumping higher.

The open and close in your hip in 2point is the next step.

katievit 02-22-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1906590)
I would probably mark you as an experienced beginner. Don't worry about it. This is only your 4th lesson, you shouldn't be so concerned about your position.

The "fold" is when your hip closes over the jump. Your hip should still be open at 2 point and as you hold that position, the horse will rise up beneath you. Your legs should obsorb the motion and you're hip will close. You will know if it doesn't, because the landing will pop you out of the saddle.

In order for you to really "feel", you need to go higher so the horse has more motion. Right now it looks like they put you on a mount who has very little motion at all and thats because you are a beginner at this. They need to build your confidence and anchor before they put you on anything else.

A good exercise to do by yourself (or maybe suggest it to your instructor) would be "winged victory into 2point". Try it on a horse at the halt first. Do winged victory without the reins, and close your hip into 2point, then back up to winged victory.

"Winged Victory" is an exercise where you stand up in your stirrups with your leg, hip, shoulders and head in alignment and remained balanced there. In order to remain balanced, you have to be in perfect alignment. When you figure this out, you keep your legs the same and simply "fold" at the hips into 2point. You are doing 2point correctly when you can remained balanced without the use of your arms propping you up.

This exercise can be done at a halt, or at the walk, trot or canter and its a pretty good exercise if you want to "feel" the close your hip needs over a jump without actually jumping higher.

The open and close in your hip in 2point is the next step.

Really? It might be worth pointing out these are 'bomb proof' riding school horses. Most are old, Deli is 27, and shes in good health but doesn't go much faster and because theyve been pulled around by kids they never really get on the bit. I'v noticed a lot of american riders have extremely responsive horses. But you really don't get anywhere by squeezing these horses on and they don't do stuff like walk to canter.

When I'm home I ride some ex racers, so I certainly wouldn't say I was a beginner or no one would stick me on one of them.

Copperhead 02-22-2013 10:44 AM

You asked advice on how to fold your hip, I gave it to you.

gypsygirl 02-22-2013 11:09 AM

its hard to see much in the video but here are my thoughts.

it looks like you are working wayyy to hard to get that horse to move ! because of this it looks like you are sitting too much on your butt with your leg out in front of you. this is making you locked in your hip, so instead of folding you are either leaning forward or standing straight up over the jump.

i would suggest doing lots of two point work on the flat and practice going from sitting to two point at w/t/c. jumping is really a lot of muscle memory training. the horse you are riding looks like hes a lot of work, but thats how school horses can be.

good luck in your jumping =] you are just starting out, so your position is very important in not learning bad habits. this is when its good to be on a bombproof horse, so you can work on your position and know the horse is going to jump.

BarrelracingArabian 02-22-2013 11:59 AM

You would be considered beginner in this discipline not because you can't ride but because it is new to you. Just as I have been riding western for my entire life so I would be a beginner in jumping. Experienced beginner isn't bad thing it's just what you are in jumping.