The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Is a very small amount of basic sweet feed okay? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/very-small-amount-basic-sweet-feed-154297/)

BeachinIt 02-21-2013 07:57 PM

Is a very small amount of basic sweet feed okay?

I hope this is isn't a repeat...I tried to find a similar question but no luck.

I am going to slowly put my TB mare on a few New supplements. However, she only gets a very small amount of safe choice grain at feeding time and the powdery supplements I'm going to give her won't mix well. Would it be alright to give her a small amount (just a handful or so) of sweet feed so the powder will stick to it? I've always steered clear of sweet feed, but its such a small amount...

Oh, and the supplements I'm going to begin adding to her feed are a calming supplement, MSM, and a multivitamin.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 02-21-2013 08:01 PM

Granted, I don't believe that such a small amount would do her any harm, but have you considered just spraying a bit of water (not enough to get it soupy) to her current feed so the powder would stick? That would save you having to buy a new feed too.

natisha 02-21-2013 08:02 PM

Maybe dampening the Safechoice would allow the supplements to stick.

farmpony84 02-21-2013 08:07 PM

I feed supplements in pellet form w/ my pellets but I'm actually going to add about a cup or two of sweet feed to mine just to make him want to eat the supplements because I notice he's eating around them...

BeachinIt 02-21-2013 08:14 PM

I will try dampening it! I didn't even think about that. She may not eat it though...she's a little picky.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 02-21-2013 08:56 PM

Picky usually means she has an option. Take the option away and she'll eat it. What I mean is she will eat it when she gets hungry. Not sure how you feed but, we feed tied and in pans. If they won't eat their grain cause if a supplement, that's fine. They'll get the same exact pan of feed tomorrow. They quit being picky real fast. Safe choice is pretty dry. A spray bottle would dampen it enough and not make it mush. I could see that working well
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 02-21-2013 09:02 PM

I have fed Purina Omolene 100 for 30 years, and not one of my horses has ever died because of it.

They are healthy and happy.

BeachinIt 02-21-2013 09:10 PM

Thanks! I'll try wetting it first, and if that doesn't work I'll try the sweet feed. I picked up a bag of basic Tractor Supply sweet feed, which is probably about as bad as it can get :P Should I go with Omolene or Legends textured feed or something instead?
Posted via Mobile Device

BeachinIt 02-21-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1906326)
Picky usually means she has an option. Take the option away and she'll eat it. What I mean is she will eat it when she gets hungry. Not sure how you feed but, we feed tied and in pans. If they won't eat their grain cause if a supplement, that's fine. They'll get the same exact pan of feed tomorrow. They quit being picky real fast. Safe choice is pretty dry. A spray bottle would dampen it enough and not make it mush. I could see that working well
Posted via Mobile Device

Unfortunately I don't feed her, the BO does, and the other two horses are fed at the same time in their pasture. If she walked away, I wouldn't want the others to get ahold of her supplements. I'm not sure if the BO waits for them all to finish before leaving or not...I'll have to find out!
Posted via Mobile Device

BeachinIt 02-21-2013 09:14 PM

Oh I should add they are not tied when eating :)
Posted via Mobile Device