The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Fly repellent (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/fly-repellent-154309/)

Faustinblack 02-21-2013 11:04 PM

Fly repellent

What do y'all use? I haven't found one that works well, and I'm going on a ride this weekend and I don't want my horse to go nuts. It's going to be 70 degrees and I'm sure the flies will be out in number
Posted via Mobile Device

trailwalker 02-22-2013 12:08 AM

70 are you kidding? Where are you??? Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Faustinblack 02-22-2013 12:09 AM

Texas
Posted via Mobile Device

trailwalker 02-22-2013 12:15 AM

I would almost enjoy seeing a fly in va this weekend. But duraguard is a good fly spray around here in the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 02-22-2013 02:27 AM

I dont use fly repellant on endurance rides, just ride fast out run them, also your constantly wetting your horses down to cool them so you'd be washing it off anyway. so far with the rides I have done fly repellant has never been an issue.

2SCHorses 02-22-2013 08:15 AM

I agree with Joe. But I have done a training ride or two with some bad flies, and I use a Neem oil mix (2 tablespoons neem, 1 teaspoon Dawn, h2o in a sprayer bottle) for my horses if I am doing a walking ride and there are flies. I also have a mesh cover for my bridle that keeps flies off her face. I like that best because I don't like spraying my horse's face - Cashel makes one called 'The Quiet Ride' - I got mine at a tack flea market, but I am sure you can find them online.

BlueSpark 02-22-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

I would almost enjoy seeing a fly in va this weekend
I found one in the heated water bucket the other day! hit 11 celcius(very rare in feb) and one adventurous fly woke up. Back to being frozen now.

anyways, back on topic, I've had no luck with any sort of repllent, natural or other wise. I'm not sure If our insects are just more obnoxious up north or what, but they dont seem to be phased by anything.

nvr2many 02-22-2013 12:39 PM

Best I have found for around here.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...gxMvbUvwuTzFLM

toosexy4myspotz 02-22-2013 01:58 PM

We use endure and I love it. We often go threw rivers or take them down in a deep spot in a creek for fun and the endure doesnt wash off. Its the only one I have found that I can work my horses and spray them off with water daily and only have to reapply once a week, and for the pasture puffs I only put it on every three weeks. Its fairly expensive compared to some of the other stuff but Having to use is less often makes a huge difference. I also only use Avon skin so soft on their faces and ears.

toosexy4myspotz 02-22-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faustinblack (Post 1906458)
What do y'all use? I haven't found one that works well, and I'm going on a ride this weekend and I don't want my horse to go nuts. It's going to be 70 degrees and I'm sure the flies will be out in number
Posted via Mobile Device

Man Im moving to texas the 8 months out of the year!!!! Shoot fire!! I want 70 degrees!!! Yesterday was 40 degrees and the sun was out and I thought I was doing good!!! Now its 20 degress with snow and ice on the ground....grrr.....