The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Horse Vacuuming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/horse-vacuuming-154324/)

MissColors 02-22-2013 12:45 AM

Horse Vacuuming

Yeah I know sounds crazy. But maybe less so than I think. Its common to vacuum dog hair up as its cut. But I'm wondering if any of you have vacuumed your horses. If so what were the reactions and or did you try to go through a desensitising process?

My main reason for potentially vacuuming is the spring coat shed. It drives me crazy!!! Lol. But tbh I can't wait for it.

:) anything, even comments on if you would/n't be up for it, is appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

oh vair oh 02-22-2013 01:15 AM

Many, if not all, show people vacuum their horses. It's a much better alternative to bathing.

The first thing you would desensitize your horse to is rubbing him all over with the hose off. Getting him used to the long black tube being around his legs and under him.

Then you'd desensitize him to turning on/off the machine. Over and over and over.

Then you'd desensitize him to sucking the air close to his shoulder, then removing the hose. Get closer, if he remains calm, then take the hose away. Closer and closer until you put it on his skin.

I imagine how long the process is dependent upon how good your horse is to being desensitized.

skittlesfirehawk 02-22-2013 01:37 AM

at my old barn everytime before we rode bareback my trainer would have use vaccum our horses with a special horse vaccum she bought and also used at her house

FaydesMom 02-22-2013 01:37 AM

Yeppers, I use a good old shop vac. As said above, give your horses plenty of time to get used to the sound and feeling involved. To make it a bit quieter, I found another old shop vac at a garage sale and taped the two hoses together to allow me to put the vac into my tackroom and close the door to mute the sound. That's mainly for me though, eventually the horses couldn't care less, but I hate the sound! :-)

EquineBovine 02-22-2013 01:47 AM

Wow! It sounds AWESOME!! I've never heard of it!!!

Tracer 02-22-2013 01:51 AM

Dunno about horses, but I've done it to cattle before. Not sure how they went about desensitizing them to it, but even the young heifers didn't blink at it.

Oxer 02-22-2013 02:58 AM

most of the folks at our barn, which is primarily a hunter/jumper show barn, both FURminator and vacuum the their horses. My horse will have none of it... so we go old school with baths and regular grooming. haha!

EquineBovine 02-22-2013 04:02 AM

What sort of vacs do you even use for this? Are there special horse ones?

natisha 02-22-2013 05:16 AM

I've never had a horse refuse the vacuum.
For horses not used to it I have it turned on before I bring the horse in & let it run in the general area while I groom. After a few minutes I pick it up & just use it.
I use a small shop vac with a shoulder strap. Be careful of the exhaust at first as sometimes that can surprise the horse.
Cuts grooming time way down.
Most vacuum attachments with a brush end will fit on the shop vacs.

SlideStop 02-22-2013 06:49 AM

I loveeee our horse vac, one of the best things we had donated to the barn! Just have to get them used to the sounds and the hose. I find the less you make a big deal about it the easier it is. They seem to really enjoy it once they get used to it!
Posted via Mobile Device