The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Supplement Suggestions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/supplement-suggestions-154327/)

Caili 02-22-2013 01:51 AM

Supplement Suggestions

Hey guys. So i have been looking at weight gain supplements lately because my horse has no teeth. I would like your opinions on what is the best weight gain supplements that is low in energy and highly palattable. Any suggestions just fire away.....

Thanks

poppy1356 02-22-2013 07:15 AM

Alfalfa pellets made into a mash with canola oil. Calories are energy no way around that but you can alter the type of energy, such as no sugars (sweetfeed) and giving as much fat calories as you can.

I'm assuming you already feed this horse a mash every few hours now anyway since he has no teeth, correct?

beckykimes 02-22-2013 04:19 PM

Beet pulp works very well as well. Soak it of course. I used to put some molasses in it for my picky mare.

You can also pour on an oil for extra calories. I've got some other suggestions as well. PM me :-)

Caili 02-23-2013 03:06 AM

Umm it's a sticky situation with my horse. As i am still currently at school i am not able to give her feed every few hours. I had been giving her lots of feed in the afternoons as having little time to spare (homework, assignment, chores). However i am determined to change that scheme and split her feed into two times per day even if it means that i have to sacrifice an hour or two of sleep.
I have mentioned alfalfa cubes/pellets to my dad and will hopefully invest in some as soon as possible.

Clava 02-23-2013 03:51 AM

Add micronised linseed (flax) to the feed, it is great for condition and weight gain. In the Uk we have a feed called Fast Fibre which is a mash and that combined with linseed and brewers yeast is great for condition (brewers yeast is full of vitamins but helps gut bacteria to digest what is fed).

poppy1356 02-23-2013 07:39 AM

Wait, she has no teeth at all and you are only giving her feed once a day??? That is wrong. She cannot eat hay without teeth, she absolutely needs to be fed several times per day a mash of hay pellets or cubes. And twice per day does not meet that need. This is just all around wrong.

Caili 02-23-2013 10:30 PM

Ouch that hurt....I'm doing my best.. mind you i'm 15 so i can't do much.. especially since my Dad doesn't think much about these things and argues and stuff.

Caili 02-23-2013 10:31 PM

And no teeth.. meant little teeth

Caili 02-23-2013 10:32 PM

I just fed her at 12 o'clock and will be feeding her again at around 5

poppy1356 02-23-2013 10:34 PM

Well then this falls on your dad. Maybe call your vet and have him talk to him? Or it might be time to put the horse down if quality of life cannot be maintained.
Posted via Mobile Device