The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Help with not cutting corners (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/help-not-cutting-corners-154340/)

mollypolly567 02-22-2013 10:52 AM

Help with not cutting corners

I'm always put on the one lesson horse. I've never been able to get my corners on her. My previous instructor would tell me my jump was so good I didn't have to worry about them. But that's a load of bull $#!+ in my opinion. We have a new instructor now. Anyway the horse is a little trickster and hates going into her corners so its just horrible to watch. Also she HATES when you even slightly tug on your left rein. She goes crazy when you do. I think my corner problem is because I focus so much over the jump then I'm thinking towards the next jump and I just forget I have to use my corner. Any advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

loveduffy 02-22-2013 10:59 AM

welcome to the forum, You know what you are doing you are jumping ahead of yourself just jump the jump in front of you one at a time the horse you are riding seems to be albe to jump with out the corners so I would not worry

tillymae10 02-23-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollypolly567 (Post 1906935)
I'm always put on the one lesson horse. I've never been able to get my corners on her. My previous instructor would tell me my jump was so good I didn't have to worry about them. But that's a load of bull $#!+ in my opinion. We have a new instructor now. Anyway the horse is a little trickster and hates going into her corners so its just horrible to watch. Also she HATES when you even slightly tug on your left rein. She goes crazy when you do. I think my corner problem is because I focus so much over the jump then I'm thinking towards the next jump and I just forget I have to use my corner. Any advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

try and scwees your right lig into the horses side [if your going left ] if your going right scwees you left leg in. try it . i think it is really good your asking someyone about it too.

ilovepets 02-24-2013 10:16 AM

i have this problem too!! :shock: on the horse i ride, if you try and do anything with the reins or legs, she still looks forward butch she goes sideways (as if we were doing dressage) :(

katievit 02-24-2013 07:53 PM

You need to always keep the contact in your outside rein, not pulling on their mouth at all, but people always forget about the outside rein and its actually just as important to have contact in your outside rein as it is the inside in order to keep your horse balanced but it also helps prevents them from cutting corners. Rather than tugging just give a gentle reminder by squeezing your outside rein regularly and using your inside leg to try to push the horse over into the corner. Sadly some horses are just naughty, we have a couple at my school who are nightmares with this and you really have to slow them down to get them into the corners.