The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Parents Won't take me to Barn! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/parents-wont-take-me-barn-154346/)

lu27m 02-22-2013 11:11 AM

Parents Won't take me to Barn!

So my parents don't really like horses...basically they don't like taking me to the barn so I can ride. When ever I ask them if they can take me, they always get all upset and snap back at me saying don't talk about it anymore I'm tired if hearing it. :( please no rude comments saying that I need to be great full. I am great full when ever they do take me to the barn, I thank them A TON and I'm really appreciative that I do lease a horse:D But anyway they haven't taken me in forever so you know how it is if you haven't riden in too long..it's really depressing and I just want to cry;(. I don't really do anything else except riding and 4-H, I don't do any other sports or activities or clubs because I want to keep my schedule open just in case I can go to the barn. I understand its busy with 2 brothers but still they don't want to talk about the barn at all:(( thankfully the owner of the horse I lease takes me sometimes but it's hard for her because she's busy in dental school..PLEASE HELP! Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my parents to take me more/enjoy taking me/not rush me when I'm there?

lu27m 02-22-2013 11:13 AM

Btw, I can't get a ride with anyone because we are 40 min from the barn (ik, ik, it takes a lot of time)

wetrain17 02-22-2013 11:15 AM

Obvious question here, why not find a horse closer to you that you can lease?

lu27m 02-22-2013 11:19 AM

Well I really love the horse Im leasing, and we're actually looking for new horses to lease, but haven't found any good ones...and I show so it kind of matters which horse I have

littrella 02-22-2013 11:22 AM

untill your independently mobile, your kinda stuck with what your parents want. If their paying for you to lease a horse but wont take you to ride it, it's kind of a waste of money

Speed Racer 02-22-2013 11:23 AM

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can tell you that will magically make your parents happy to take you to the barn and wait patiently on you while you ride.

I'm going to presume they're the ones actually paying for the lease as well as your showing fees so they must not be too angry about your riding, otherwise they wouldn't be spending their own money to make you happy.

wetrain17 02-22-2013 11:31 AM

40 one way at the end of the day is a lot to ask for. If I had to drive 40 min one way after I worked, ride, and then drive another 40 min home. I would never see my horse. Not because I didnt want to see him, but it would be too much of a pain to do on top of everything else I have to get done.

Why not try sitting them down in the beginning of the week and talking about setting a schedule for that week. See when they are able to take you, rather then asking spur of the moment. That way they can plan on taking you and not have to jumble everything else around. Some weeks they may only be able to take you once, other weeks maybe a bit more. You can also ask them what YOU can do for THEM during the week that will in turn make it easier for them to take you to the barn. Help cook dinner, help clean, it goes a long way.

Saddlebag 02-22-2013 11:59 AM

What's wrong with riding a bicycle? If I wanted to ride, it was either walk or ride a bike as both parents rarely had time to drive me. My parents would get after me from time to time about always being at the barn. Years later, my father in hindsight told me at least they always knew where I was and not getting into trouble or with the wrong crowd.

bluehorse68 02-22-2013 11:59 AM

I agree with Wetrain17. sometimes coming home from work to a hot dinner already made and the laundry folded can do alot for making your parents want to do stuff for you. I don't get to go ride nearly enough because my kids don't really help much around the house. I have to choose between having dinner ready for my husband after working an 8 hour shift myself, or letting him come home to an empty house while I'm out enjoying my horse. It's a hard choice sometimes, and having the kids get dinner done and the house cleaned helps out A LOT!

DancingArabian 02-22-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehorse68 (Post 1907056)
I agree with Wetrain17. sometimes coming home from work to a hot dinner already made and the laundry folded can do alot for making your parents want to do stuff for you. I don't get to go ride nearly enough because my kids don't really help much around the house. I have to choose between having dinner ready for my husband after working an 8 hour shift myself, or letting him come home to an empty house while I'm out enjoying my horse. It's a hard choice sometimes, and having the kids get dinner done and the house cleaned helps out A LOT!

Cook more crockpot dinners :) cook it overnight and let everyone reheat as they desire or let it cook while you're at work and come home to cooked dinner!
Posted via Mobile Device