The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse Joint Supplements - Any other options? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-joint-supplements-any-other-options-154352/)

Thrill Ride 02-22-2013 01:19 PM

Horse Joint Supplements - Any other options?

2 Attachment(s)
Recently we took our 14 year old, 16hh Thoroughbred Mare to the vet. During the exam he ran a pen cap from her poll to tail and noticed she was extremely sore. He pressed it in hard, so it wasn't just running it along. She shuttered extremely bad, then he pressed somewhere on her hips and she tucked her back feet underneath herself. He said this was some chinese thing that if they did that they could or have hock issues. We had teeth done, chiropractor (over an hour) and very repetable, and coggins done. He also suggested putting her on a joint supplement. We went with one through the vet as it was their 'special made mix that was very concentrated'. He said also I should have support boots on her when I ride to help her. But we didn't do any tests other than that one where he pressed on her hips. And the chiropractor said the same thing, that she might have hock issues.

Her history- We believe she was sent out for training to be a racehorse when she was younger. We know who the trainer is and he is a person who buys one Thoroughbred horse at a time and then pushes them extremely hard because he only has one horse. She has some scar lines on her back legs, and she has like a scar bump on her back fetlock. After he quit training her, he sold her to an old couple who rode her once or twice and then just didn't ride her anymore. We got her and have had her for I believe 3 years. Best riding horse we have. Her dam also raced 76 times so she obviously was a horse that could stay sound. Sassy (reg. name- Thrill Ride) never raced, her lip isn't tatooed

I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should do? She has never came up lame.

Also, this bucket of supplement is suppost to last 5-6 months. She gets 2 oz. everyday for the first month, then 1 oz. after the first month. We paid $112 at the vet for this. Is there any less expensive that will help.

I will list below what it says about the supplement:
Guaranteed Analysis:
Copper (minimum) 1,750 ppm
Manganese (minimum) 7,000 ppm
Zinc (minimum) 7,000 ppm
Vitamin E (minimum) 7,000 IU/lb

Ingredients:
Glucosamine, Hydrochloride, Rice Bran, Flaxseed Meal, Chondroiton Solfate (Porcine), Dried Yucca Schidegerra Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Molasses Products, Ascorbic Acide, Copper Proteinate, Mineral Oil, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate

The supplement is mixed in with 4 scoops of 14 % Protein Sweet Feed.

Thanks!
1st Pic- about a year after we got her
2nd Pic- about 6 months after we got her. Sorry I don't have any good recents.

I could get a video of her moving if you would like

xlionesss 02-22-2013 02:03 PM

Cosequin is a great supplement, dunno if you've tried it.

kassierae 02-22-2013 02:13 PM

I like AniMed's AniFlex Complete. It has done wonders for my arthritic mare, she is 99% pasture sound. She boogered up her knee a little over a year ago and if she doesn't get her supplement(if it runs out early), after about a week she's dead lame. When she's on it, she feels good enough to chase my gelding and even buck a little.

Here's the ingredients:
ACTIVE INGREDIENTS PER OUNCE: Glucosamine HCL (shellfish) 5000mg, Hesperidin 3475mg, Chondroitin Sulfate (porcine) 2075mg, MSM 1775mg, Creatine 1000mg, Hyaluronic Acid 50mg
INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Brewers Yeast, Calcium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Corn Starch, Dl-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Yucca (flavoring agent)

A 2 1/2 lb tub lasts me about 60 days, and it's fairly cheap(about $50 + shipping).

nikelodeon79 02-22-2013 02:43 PM

I love Springtime, Inc. products.
Posted via Mobile Device

beckykimes 02-22-2013 04:39 PM

I use a product with my mare called StemEquine. She's been off/sore/stiff/lame for about 2 years and nothing seems to help. Just 2 weeks on the product and she was noticeably better. My shoer was amazed at her improvement...couldn't believe it. I SWEAR by this product. It's amazing and I am so happy I found it.

franknbeans 02-22-2013 05:19 PM

Without knowing the amounts of the other ingredients, like the Glucosamine etc, it will be difficult to compare, but, as I have said in several of these threads, Smartpak has a great chart where you can compare all the ingredients pretty easily and then compare price. Honestly, I don't think that $112 for 5-6 mo is hateful.

I personally have had success with Cortaflex w/HA plus 1 gm of MSM daily. But, each horse is different. Smartpak will also send samples to try.

Good luck!