The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Grooming kits/tools (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/grooming-kits-tools-154434/)

Brittney917 02-23-2013 12:12 AM

Grooming kits/tools

Looking in to buying new grooming tools and was wondering if yall prefer to buy a grooming kit or to pick your pieces individually?

I was considering buying this kit

Lucky Star Grooming Kits

But when I found it in the store I wasn't that impressed so I think I might just look into buying some individual things. Also just out of curiosity what is everyone's favorite/must have grooming item?! :)

Mochachino 02-23-2013 12:33 AM

No, that doesn't look like it would last long. I like Oster? I believe it is. I've had a curry, brush, finishing brush, hoof pick and comb for prob 8 years or more now and it is easy to keep clean (I put it in my dishwasher) and nothing is broken or wearing out. I use my rubber curry a lot and the stiffer bristle brush and the finishing brush a lot. I often will just get a "human" wide comb and brush for the mane and tail.

FaydesMom 02-23-2013 01:42 AM

No kits for me, I have to handle each item personally to be sure of the feel and comfort, for both of our comfort. :-)

I have always preferred the look and feel of real wood backs and natural fiber for my body brushes. For manes and tails I use a dog brush with pins on one side and short bristles on the other.

And as much as I love my forged horseshoe hoofpick an old friend made for me, I keep going back to my fat gripped purple poly hoofpick with the stiff hoof brush made into the back of the pick.

Isn't it fun horse gear shopping?? :-)

walkinthewalk 02-23-2013 09:57 AM

I have always hand-picked grooming tools.

"starter kits" get a thumbs down from me, unless you recieve it as a gift from a well-meaning friend or relative. Then just "use it up" and keep the container for your next set of grooming tools that you will hand pick, one at a time:D:D

smarties 02-23-2013 10:39 AM

Starter kits are negative for me. I purchase brushes individually, natural bristles if available. I do not know what Winners Circle brushes look like now(I have had almost all my brushes for 20+ years), but that was the brand I originally went with.If they are still making them, obviously they last a long time. Things that get replaced in my box are rubber mitts, oval shaped rubber curries and mane and tail combs.
This is what's in my box:
Rubber mitt
Rubber curry
Soft brush
Medium Brush
Hard Brush
Mane and tail comb
Hoof pick(made from a horse shoe, works great!)
Soft towel
I worked as a groom many years ago, and the trainer was adamant about shiny coats, even on the white horses. That was a challenge(the white horse), fortunately he only had one.

xlionesss 02-23-2013 10:42 AM

I love Oster, they're more expensive but my favorite when it comes to comfort and durability.

Kato 02-23-2013 04:09 PM

I bought this set and I love it.....however I also added a got hair brush, because that has always been my mare's favorite face brush, I also have a small soft face curry, jelly mitt and a lambskin mitt. I much prefer wood banks and natural bristles. A friend had some of these brushes and I fell in love so ordered the kit. I can never find good brushes anywhere near me.

ETA: My Oster curry is still my favorite with the thick rubber cones.......my horse loves it too!

BlooBabe 02-23-2013 08:25 PM

I like to buy brushes individually. I've got a set of brushes that I use for shows and special occasions as well as an every day brush set. My specail brushes consist of wooden backed hard, soft, mud, and face brushes all with natural fiber bristles, a wooden hoof pick, a metal mane and tail comb, a shed blade sweat scraper combination, and a medium nub massage/curry comb. I don't like the nylon or synthetic bristles because they tend to fray after only a few uses so both my sets have either boar/pig, horse, or goat bristles. But none of my brushes match which gives them more character.

backyardhorse 02-27-2013 09:45 PM

As someone (only 1 person!) mentioned, add a jelly. I just love having the curry on one side, if used in a circular motion, they work great for removing loose hair and are easy to clean. The other side is a little soft to be a hard brush, but a little too hard to call a soft brush. Mine gets used for the mud on knees & hocks. Also, a sweat scraper comes in handy, too.

RunningJumpingHorses 03-03-2013 01:38 AM

I personally don't like starter kits because they don't really give you the best products unless its a really expensive starter kit. I bought a tack box from a tack store named teskeys and its not big but has a TON of space. When I buy brushes I look at them in person and feel and inspect them too. I keep a lot of extra brushes everywhere because I have quit a collection but my main "go to brushes" always stay in my grooming brush. This is what I have:
Rubber curry
Hoof pick (several)
A hard stuff brush
Medium brush
SUPER soft brush
Just a plain all around body brush with handle strap
Rubber mit
Small towel/washcloth
Bot block
A small tack sponge
Metal main and tail comb
An actual people hairbrush that I use for me and my horses
Cowboy magic detangler
Shining stuff

Hope this helps!! Also best place in my option to get stuff is doversaddlery.com or teskeys.com Love both places stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device