The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Not your usual conformation critique... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/not-your-usual-conformation-critique-154441/)

CaptainLiecy 02-23-2013 05:17 AM

Not your usual conformation critique...

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone! I haven't been on here for ages and had obviously forgotten how good the forum is, so glad I'm back! :D
So I have a bit of an unusual critique request... I am getting a tattoo of a horse on my inner forearm sometime in the near future, and being the perfectionist I am, I am drawing it myself so I never have anything to complain about :lol: So what I'm looking for is a bit of conformation critique on my horse drawing! I'm going to have this for the rest of my life so I want it to be absolutely perfect.
Fire away! :-)

roxxy 02-23-2013 05:30 AM

Id say the back looks too long, the front knee joint looks a bit high up, and the chest looks a tad weird. apart from that looks ok (head, mane, tail). Also the start of tail might need to come down a bit?

Elana 02-23-2013 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Take a look at this. Before you put something this permanent on yourself if you want perfection also take a look at some of Edweard Muybrridge's photos. At the turn of the century when photography was new he did series of photos showing how a horse moves (freeze frames). This showed, among other things, that a horse has a moment of suspension at the trot (had been a long argument). The horse you have drawn looks like he is doing two gaits at once.. or as if he was running along and then dodged or something.

Here is an overlay I did on your drawing. It is not great.. but I think you get the idea. Drawing horses is a specialty (been doing it for 50 years).

Elana 02-23-2013 09:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is some Muybridge stuff. You will see what I mean... I think. Horses move quite precisely.

SnowCowgirl 02-23-2013 06:43 PM

I love that set of photos... I'd love to have a reel of Muybridge photos framed on my wall.

If you're looking for perfection and precision you'd be better off to go from a photo. You just take it to the tattoo artist. That way you don't have to worry about flaws in a drawing... nothing can be as realistic as a photo.

Roperchick 02-23-2013 07:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I would take this in to a tattoo artist to see how your body is going to twist the image as well.

I have a tattoo of a tribal horse I drew myself on my ribs. and the way it was drawn on it did change the image and it also changes as I twist and flex to be careful of that.

your best bet is to go in once you decide on it, and they will do a wipeable ink trace of it so that you can see the play of it on your skin and then tweak it to make it better there

heres how mine turned out so let it be a warning lol
ref pic
Attachment 130721

actual tattoo (I was twisting left to get this pic...hence why the neck and legs are out of proportion)
Attachment 130722

Elana 02-23-2013 07:24 PM

I own the complete, original Muybridge books. All three of them. They are quite valuable.

SnowCowgirl 02-23-2013 07:29 PM

that's awesome Elana!

WSArabians 02-23-2013 07:41 PM

Personally... I'd add a little more dish to the face, refinement throughout the throat latch, and a smaller muzzle. :D

Elana 02-23-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSArabians (Post 1908760)
Personally... I'd add a little more dish to the face, refinement throughout the throat latch, and a smaller muzzle. :D

(I think she means to make him an Arabian....) (Shhh.. don't let anyone know...) LOL