The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Hello from Ontario (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/hello-ontario-154446/)

harmsbarbie 02-23-2013 08:19 AM

Hello from Ontario

Good morning. I've been riding since I was 5 (now 58) receiving formal English training for a few of my formative years. I've only owned one horse in all those years (half-Arab mare) but when I retire when I turn 60 my husband and I hope to buy a small farm and a couple of horses (and perhaps a pony for the grandchildren). I'll keep one English saddle but expect to do most of my riding in a Western or something similar. I've been reading a bit about Aussie saddles. Because it's been so long since I've been active with horses I'm wondering about the size of saddle I should be buying. If I find a good deal, do I buy it without fitting it to my future horses? I know of someone at work who is selling her Western and Aussie saddles. My intention is for pleasure riding now. The size of seat is mentioned. I assume that's determined by my size (how is that measured?). I really appreciate your comments going forward. Thanks!:-)

HorseLovinLady 02-23-2013 11:37 PM

Welcome!! Sorry i'm no help with saddle sizing.

loveduffy 02-24-2013 12:06 AM

welcome to the forum to fit the saddle to you measure from the back of the seat to the button on the saddle front for the horse any saddle should have space above the withers hope this helps

Country Woman 02-24-2013 12:50 AM

Welcome to the horse forum nice to meet you

there is a thread in the Horse Talk called horse talk for over 40's
you are more than welcome to check us out

harmsbarbie 02-24-2013 09:01 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to communicating with all of you for many years to come. And thanks, Country Woman. Definitely will check out your thread (we who are over 40++ have to stick together).

Country Woman 02-24-2013 02:40 PM

Your welcome
as we get older our bodies are not young and bouncy