The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Pelvic Soreness? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/pelvic-soreness-154454/)

Deschutes 02-23-2013 11:26 AM

Pelvic Soreness?

I have bad hips do to accidents not related to horses. Especially on my right due to years of favoring.

I was riding at practice yesterday, and we did some Drill work, which made me really have to use my seat a lot, mostly a lot of seat work to keep the horse slow because Brown didn't care for one part of the arena that had stuff falling off it, but he got over it for another part of our exercises. Anyway.

During the ride, I felt very tight in my hips, especially my right. It feels like it needs to be popped, but, I can't pop it.

The exercises we did were riding in the arena and trying to be at the same place as the other rider was at the other side.

Another was working to be pommel to pommel as we rode together, then as he blew his whistle, turn and switch sides with out partner and get close together.

The last was zigzagging along the joust rail to poles that were laid out vertically, and trying to meet at the middle at the same time.

It was the first excercise that really got me.

Afterwards I couldn't really walk right for a bit, haha. But, I'm thinking of doing some yoga to try and work my hip and relax it. My seat felt pretty darn good, just it came with a lot of pain...
Posted via Mobile Device

Deschutes 02-23-2013 11:27 AM

Oh, and I want to add... This is the morning after, and my left hip doesn't hurt at all, but my right still feels tight and painful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shadow Puppet 12-08-2013 12:04 PM

For about a year and a half my I have had this "popping" sensation deep in my pelvis. My mom took me to the doctor and I ended up getting x rays to confirm that I had tears in each of the cartilage in my hips. They still feel really tight and I have to stretch in very odd ways to get them to pop for the first time before its comfortable to walk and then they pop with every step. An option was surgery for me, but I'm terrified of surgery so I refused and we have resulted in cortisone shots. I hope everything works out. A common problem with people who ride is that your hip flexors, the big muscles at the top of your thighs get really tense. You can do stretches and that helps alot!