The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Your Favorite Thing about Drafts? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/your-favorite-thing-about-drafts-154455/)

faiza425 02-23-2013 12:27 PM

Your Favorite Thing about Drafts?

I figured I would start a thread asking everyone - what is your favorite thing about drafts? Feel free to post more than one (there's so many!) I also want to hear your cute draft stories!

I'll start. One of favorite things about drafts is their gentleness. When I first started riding, my instructor put me on Pearl, a full Belgian. I was intimidated by her massiveness, but I shouldn't have worried :-) she took great care of me and still does as she teaches me to jump. I now volunteer at a therapeutic barn, where we have a Shire. I love watching him with the kids - he's so careful not to step on them with his dinner plate hooves and he'll put his head down so the littlest ones or the kids in wheelchairs can pet him.

I can't wait to hear everyone else's favorites and stories! :D

Taffy Clayton 02-23-2013 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Everything!!

Attachment 130672

Southern Grace 02-26-2013 01:55 PM

• I like that you can have a high-stepping horse that likes to move out, without being spooky or flighty.
  • Most I've met have the personality of an oversized Golden Retriever, they genuinely want to please.
  • I've had a near obsession with feather since I was 7 years old.
  • And, I must admit, I love the stares when you walk down the barn isle with a horse who's ears sit nearly 8' above the ground.

WickedNag 02-26-2013 02:30 PM

Love their big muzzles!

My2Geldings 03-06-2013 05:43 PM

So many things to list off about drafts that I LOVE. I'll list the 2 biggest things that I love about them.

1) Their build. I absolutely love how big and heavy their builds are. They are such beautiful, breath taking animals.

2) Their tempers. Not all drafts are quiet, but most of the ones I have had the chance to work with, have been phenomenal horses.

strawberry paint 03-08-2013 05:33 PM

Even though I don't own a draft ( I don't own a horse....period) I find that they're such beautiful noble creatures. There is something about thier size that just stands out and all I can think is .....WOW!!!
The ones that I have met....had lovely personalities and took alot of self will not to steal one and put it in my backyard.
If I had a lots of money and I was in total control of it...I would definitly get a draft....one that I could take on trails for hours.
Draft horses are spectacular and beautiful in thier own right.

strawberry paint 03-08-2013 05:41 PM

I told my sister....if I ever win a million dollars. This is the place where I'll take her and we can ride to our hearts content.
Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGXT5LTJeZE

loveduffy 03-15-2013 01:57 AM

as said before EVERYTHING they are just the best :) !!!!

Shirekeldeo7 03-27-2013 09:21 PM

Everything i adore draft horses the colors, size, and their gentle nature that makes them amazing the gentle giants how amazing
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 03-27-2013 09:45 PM

I love the way the ground shakes under their feet-- raw power!