The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   WHEN will I start cantering? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/when-will-i-start-cantering-154458/)

QueenCheval 02-23-2013 12:29 PM

WHEN will I start cantering?

I've been riding since last september. Does anyone have an idea on when my coach might have me canter? I can walk fine, do both sitting and posting trot and change diagonals, and go over poles and gridwork every lesson. I know it's up to my trainer when I'll start, but I'm just an impatient person. Oh, and I've cantered once on a lungeline for about five strides back in November or so... do I need more experience before I canter? Could my coach be holding back because I fell off my horse a few weeks ago in a cross-rail jumping incedent? I was compeletely fine and took the jump again without falling... What do you guys think? Will I start cantering soon, or will I have to wait another few weeks?
Thanks for any advise!

CLaPorte432 02-23-2013 12:42 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Noone but your coach can possibly answer this question for you. If you really want to know...talk to your instructor.
Posted via Mobile Device

JoanneUK 02-24-2013 01:19 PM

it's weird that you have started jumping before learning to canter. Where I go for my lessons we walk, trot, canter and then starts on jumping.

I started my lessons in October and have been learning how to canter in the last 4 weeks. First just the transition from trot to canter (and canter just for a couple of seconds) then back to trot. Once I was more confident with this I moved to a more forward going horse and was doing canter for half or one 40 meters circle. Then the last 2 lessons on a faster horse for longer (finally got the hang of it at my last lesson!). It depends on your coach , mine is more keen to make me try things even if not everything was perfect at the trot and I should start jumping soon. She knows I am willing to try things so maybe ask your coach when she/he things you could have a go. I think I'm doing not too bad for a "mature" student :wink:

LynnF 02-24-2013 06:23 PM

I would talk to your trainer. If you feel confident at the trot and ready to canter there is no reason you shouldn't be.

themacpack 02-24-2013 06:37 PM

You need to speak with your coach, there is no other way to know the answer as to what more it is that he/she is looking for before they consider you ready for the canter.

beverleyy 02-25-2013 03:13 AM

I have never heard of anyone learning to jump before they canter. IMHO you should be balanced in all gaits before starting O/F. Then again, I don't know your coach so I'm sure she's got her reasons. The only way to know for sure why you have not cantered yet is to ask her, that won't hurt anything.

Skyseternalangel 02-25-2013 07:35 PM

We don't know. Ask your trainer.

QueenCheval 02-25-2013 07:55 PM

Oh, whoops. By gridwork I meant trotting over poles, that's what my trainer called it. Not actually jumping cross-rails. Sorry for the confusion!

upnover 02-26-2013 12:40 AM

I'd have a chat with your trainer. There's a good chance she has a plan or a system and just hasn't shared it with you. If you know what it is you can have some goals to acheive before being able to canter.

All of my students have to be able to do a solid posting trot without stirrups for one lap around the ring before they can canter. (and pretty much be in control the rest of the time too)

katec1991 02-26-2013 12:17 PM

Just ask your trainer if you can try it. If she says no, then ask what you need to be able to do before you can canter.

At my barn, we learn in this order: (usually)

- Walk
- Walk without stirrups
- Trot (posting)
- Sitting trot.
- Posting trot without stirrups
- Sitting trot without stirrups
- Canter
- Canter without stirrups
- Jump (trot to cross rail)
- Jump (canter to cross rail)
- Jump cross rail line trot and canter.
And so on