The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Fixing the piano hands/elbows out habit? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/fixing-piano-hands-elbows-out-habit-154460/)

JaneyWaney9 02-23-2013 12:37 PM

Fixing the piano hands/elbows out habit?

I have a bad habit with piano hands.
If I think about it, I can fix it, but I know I need to break the habit so that my position is correct without thinking about it.

I think it also causes me to put my elbows out, which is another bad habit of mine.

Any tips?

equitate 02-23-2013 01:14 PM

You have to REPLACE the behavior with another, that means going WAY over the edge and hopefully the brain with then replace it. So, a couple of thoughts: turn the thumbs OUT (fingernails to the ceiling); That will close the elbows to the trunk/ribcage. The second is that you like have your hands too lowered and the arms in front of you, sit up/bend elbows/raise hands. Third is are you properly using the different reins effects (at least 3 of the five)?

It is NOT one time, it is a 1000s. Supposedly it takes 10,000 tennis swings to make a new one. That means if you think/act 100 x a day, it will take 3 years to replace the habit (based on riding 300 days a year). OR you can think/act on it 1000 times a day, and it will take 3 months. Your body, your choice.

Kayty 02-23-2013 04:13 PM

Get yourself a thin whip, place it under both thumbs so that it sits evenly across the tips of your hands. Now ride like this every day until the message sinks in. You need to build muscle memory, and to do that effectively it will often take a visual or physical reminder to do SI.
The whip across your hands will make it impossibly to turn them down, and will encourage your elbows to remain against your sides.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackCoffee 02-24-2013 07:39 AM

I agree with equitate completely!

I tend to have my elbows way out and by thinking thumbs out instead of up really helps. Also just by trying to keep my elbows touching my ribcage it helps keep them in and my thumbs up.

It'll feel really weird for a long time, but that knows you're doing it right!