The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   DIY tack blingerizing help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/diy-tack-blingerizing-help-154468/)

Lins 02-23-2013 01:45 PM

DIY tack blingerizing help?

Does anyone have any idea about rim setting? I want to buy the swarovski crystals, put them into rim settings, and then onto headstalls. I have been looking online, but don't want to spend $ on the wrong tools. So I'd looove some advice, please? I know I need a few tools, but what? And the best prices and quality for my meager funds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lins 02-23-2013 07:27 PM

No one? Anyone? :D
Posted via Mobile Device

DoubleKCustoms 02-24-2013 12:32 AM

I think it would be cheaper to get crystal rivets. That's what I do anyways...

Lins 02-24-2013 03:07 AM

And the rivets are long enough to go through thick leather?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lins 02-24-2013 11:02 AM

I thought the rivets would be more expensive then the rim settings. My biggest concerns are: start up cost, cost and amount of required tools, finding a good supplier that ships to Canada inexpensively, and ease of use.

Any more thoughts, anyone?
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsecrazy4 02-24-2013 11:13 AM

When I bling my tack I don't use a rim.. I use conchos or I just them on with E 6000 glue.. I did my husbands halter and just glued on. Also did a cpl head stalls and just glued on that glue u can put in washing machine and 95% of stones won't fall off. 1more thing lol get flat back ones if u wanna glue them on. o I also just use a pencil erase to put them on.. Good luck real easy when u figure it out :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Lins 02-24-2013 11:25 AM

I tried the E6000 glue and could pick them off easily, even after cleaning and then lightly sanding the leather, not moving it for 2 days, pressing it for 2 other days, using more glue, I tried everything! So I won't be using the glue anymore, I want my tack to be horse-proof and the glue just doesn't cut it.
Posted via Mobile Device

DoubleKCustoms 02-24-2013 02:02 PM

The rivets go though most leather. I haven't had a problem yet, & I've done bronc halters, headstalls & breastcollars with no problem. & the best part is that I've never had anything come out. As horseproof as it gets. :)

MangoRoX87 02-24-2013 03:08 PM

Take a glue stick, paint, glitter glue, and smudge it all over. Then before the glue dries, drag it through a craft store. Viola!:D
Posted via Mobile Device

Lins 02-24-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoRoX87 (Post 1909686)
Take a glue stick, paint, glitter glue, and smudge it all over. Then before the glue dries, drag it through a craft store. Viola!:D
Posted via Mobile Device

YES. You are a genius! Why doesn't everyone do this?!?
Posted via Mobile Device