The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Leather Care - Oil, conditioner, soap, wipes..... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/leather-care-oil-conditioner-soap-wipes-154469/)

CopperPony 02-23-2013 01:49 PM

Leather Care - Oil, conditioner, soap, wipes.....

Can someone clear up Leather care for me please. Oil or Conditioner or Both????? Difference? Saddle soaps, leather wipes?

Thank you So Much!!!

Golden Horse 02-23-2013 02:14 PM

As I understand it.

Saddle soap cleans and provides some conditioning, on general tack I always start by soaping. (On really old or really dirty tack I wash with Murphys Oil Soap first)

Once I have clean tack I will then oil, this feeds the leather, and pulls down into the grain, this is why you need to put it on clean tack, so it doesn't drag dirt on. Oil doesn't have to be done every time, it is a good thing to do a couple of times a year.

Conditioner also feeds the leather, but usually isn't as heavy as oil so can be done more often. I will apply a small amount of conditioner every time I clean.

Leather wipes I keep in my show kit for a quick wipe over before going into the ring.

CopperPony 02-23-2013 02:28 PM

Great Expanation! Thank you.

Saddlebag 02-23-2013 03:15 PM

If I think a saddle needs oil, I will wait 7 days and clean it again. It may just need moisture. If I then decide to oil, I'll do it while the leather is still damp. I warm the oil and apply it with a 2" paint brush. It gets into tight spaces and is a very quick way to apply the oil. Leave it 24 hours and any oil that remains on the surface, just use a bare hand and wipe it around. If a western saddle do not oil the strings if the leather is the reddish latigo. They are already tanned differently for exposure to rain and sweat.

swimminchikin 03-09-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1908557)
If I think a saddle needs oil, I will wait 7 days and clean it again. It may just need moisture. If I then decide to oil, I'll do it while the leather is still damp. I warm the oil and apply it with a 2" paint brush. It gets into tight spaces and is a very quick way to apply the oil. Leave it 24 hours and any oil that remains on the surface, just use a bare hand and wipe it around. If a western saddle do not oil the strings if the leather is the reddish latigo. They are already tanned differently for exposure to rain and sweat.

Thanks for the great tip!
Posted via Mobile Device