The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cowboy Mounted Shooting (http://www.horseforum.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting/)
-   -   Where can I learn more about CMS? (http://www.horseforum.com/cowboy-mounted-shooting/where-can-i-learn-more-about-154483/)

TheAQHAGirl 02-23-2013 04:15 PM

Where can I learn more about CMS?

I've actually been interested in CMS for a while.
I can't seem to find anything around my area where I can participate.

I would really like to know what kind of gun they use, where I can find a show around me, etc.

Thanks!

Fort fireman 02-25-2013 07:43 PM

The gun has to be a single action revolver. That is the only thing I know for sure. There are a few companies that make these. Uberti( Italian) pietta( Italian) ruger vaquero or new vaquero( American)USFA( American) EAA Bounty hunter( German) or if you have alot of money to burn a real colt ( American). Also heritage manufacturing makes a colt clone. It is pietta parts finished and assembled in the US. There are several companies that sell ubertis under their name. Cimmiron, Taylor's , stoeger but they are all just ubertis with a little extra work on the actions and things like that.
I believe the gun has to be in 45 Colt but don't quote me on that.

Tazmanian Devil 03-01-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl (Post 1908608)
I've actually been interested in CMS for a while.
I can't seem to find anything around my area where I can participate.

I would really like to know what kind of gun they use, where I can find a show around me, etc.

Thanks!

Where are you located? I could find out the nearest club for you.

The guns used are single action revolvers with fixed sights. The wording is a little more complicated, but that's the gist of it. It also has to be .45 colt caliber. That's because the club/event producer provides all the blank ammo used at any event.

Ruger Vaquero, Ruger Montatdo, Taylor's Runnin' Iron, Colt SAA (single action army) or any Colt SAA clone/replica made by another company is allowed. There are more choices, but these are the simplest and most popular.