The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Things to do after ACTHA/trail ride. Need ideas. (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/things-do-after-actha-trail-ride-154507/)

Griffith361 02-23-2013 09:01 PM

Things to do after ACTHA/trail ride. Need ideas.

I'm helping with an ACTHA ride in a few weeks at the barn I board/work at and this will be everyone's first ACTHA event. What are some things y'all would like to do after ANY event (besides eat! Lol). Once all riders are back in and we have lunch and awards, I'm sure everyone will want to take a break and disperse for a little while. After that what usually happens? In your experience what is something you wish the venues had?
Here's some additional info:

-There will be only primitive camping

-Water access is in the barn only which is about 150 yards from the furthest possible camping spot

- there are about 7 horses that will be in the barn in rented stalls for the weekend. If you had a stall what is something you would want?

- there will be a leisure trail ride over the same route Sunday morning for people to revisit obstacles. Should this also be available Saturday for people that want to do schooling then?

Thanks for any ideas!!!

Celeste 02-23-2013 09:37 PM

I would think that they would have riding out of their system. Why not have a bonfire. Roast hotdogs and marshmallows on sticks. Invite somebody to bring acoustic instruments and play and sing. Maybe some nice campfire songs. A few interesting beverages that are age appropriate. (I might go for hot chocolate myself.)

Jim Andy 02-24-2013 09:48 AM

If you think you will be in before dark how about horse shoe tournament?

Griffith361 02-24-2013 01:30 PM

Those are great ideas! I had thought about a bonfire but really wasn't sure if that would be successful. I don't know if most people want to socialize or would rather stay at their camp.

What are y'all's feelings on "community" water troughs? Since the one water source may be a ways away for some, would you use a water trough if a venue had one close to camp for people to walk their horses to? I know that may be thought of as a sanitation issue due to disease but I've heard both sides of the argument.
Posted via Mobile Device

bubbleslove 02-24-2013 01:52 PM

It's safest to have everyone bring their own water buckets, you can have a central trough but I would ask people to bring buckets.

Community type events are fun after a show, people like to meet and talk horses, especially to get any tips on obstacles they had issues with. Maybe a potluck?

You could also do a nighttime trail, some go for it (I hate them!), just make sure you have someone who really knows the area to lead.
Posted via Mobile Device

roseann 02-24-2013 05:45 PM

I have volunteered at many Actha rides. Mostly if it is only a one day ride there is a potluck for dinner and the award ceremony. On two day rides sometimes the potluck is the very first night(Friday), the next night might be catered in and riders prepay for that. Bonfires are a must. We always have them, sometimes all day if it's chilly. Breakfast is usually catered in to for those that prepay for it. Costume contests for riders and horses...riders compete in costume.
One of the Actha rides this year will be in June during a full moon and we are doing it at a dude ranch that offers full moon rides so we are timing it for that. Possibly with a midsummer night theme, everyone can dress up like fairies and elves.
Once we even had Margarita Ville at the end...yes real margaritas. Soda`s for the kids.
People are not just coming to ride, they do like to socialize as well. So have fun!

Left Hand Percherons 02-24-2013 06:22 PM

Absolutely no to the community water tank. A nice touch would be to have a truck loaded with water that can drive up to the campsites and fill their water buckets to get them started. Leave the truck (with water) and a nice long hose with a shut off on the hose so they aren't wasting water in the campground. They will think you're being sweet and helping them out but you're really keeping them out of the barn.

Roperchick 02-24-2013 07:14 PM

we always just had a bonfire, s'mores, barbeque and music afterwards. everybody pretty much was just burnt out of riding haha

some of the different ones Ive been to have put up screens and had a movie going, others had slideshows of pictures taken afterwards

theyre all pretty different in my experience

CCH 02-24-2013 07:29 PM

Just another note on water safety that many people overlook - do NOT let the hose lay in the bucket or under the water of a filling bucket. Doing so effectively contaminates the nozzle with whatever is in that bucket. EHV and Influenza (and more) are spread by nasal secretions and saliva. Buckets are often full of these.

I recommend not having a hose attached to the pump for this reason. Having a trough even if people dip buckets is equally as germ filled. For those parked far from water it would be nice if someone could help them haul it with an ATV or other vehicle.

As for entertainment, Norwegian golf (sometimes called ladder toss) can be fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 02-24-2013 07:36 PM

I don't really have any input on what to do for the trailride, but I just want to say that I am pretty sure what trailride you're talking about. If I'm correct in my guessing, I bought my paint colt Henny from the host! :) I totally would have gone to hand walk Henny if it weren't four hours away LOL.