The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Protecting a mini horse from dogs? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/protecting-mini-horse-dogs-154522/)

Wheatermay 02-24-2013 12:46 AM

Protecting a mini horse from dogs?

Ok, I am in the process of buying my cart and harnesses for my miniature horse. I got her last summer, and she's my first miniature. I want to use her in parades eventually. But I'll be driving her through a little community. There is no where else flat for her to drive, and even going this way I will have to get out a few times. But I am concerned about dogs. There are large dogs (shepards, rotts, huskies, etc) that run loose. It's just the way it is around her. It's rural WV. I'm used to it on my big horse! I'm not scared of that. But she is such a little thing, I am scared they may attack her.

Do any of you carry pepper spray or anything in particular that may deter a too curious pooch? I dont want to hurt a dog, unless they r trying to hurt my baby, but I'd like something to keep them detered.

DancingArabian 02-24-2013 01:00 AM

I have a retractable police baton as well as wasp spray. If someone, beast or human, comes after me, they're getting one of the two in the face.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wheatermay 02-24-2013 01:15 AM

I actually have heard of wasp spray. Recommended by my old farrier who was a cop at one time. So great idea! Baton even cooler, lol. Didnt know it=f it sounded like I was just paraniod, or babying her. But my OWN dog is bigger than her!

DancingArabian 02-24-2013 01:20 AM

Wasp spray because it squirts in a jet. Pepper spray can backfire on you.

The police baton is questionably legal but I doubt a cop would hassle me over it. I also keep a pocket knife on me but they're just too useful to go without.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 02-24-2013 03:58 AM

you can carry a spray bottle with vinegar / water in it. since you will be driving how about a nice buggy whip. you can get the pump up spray bottles that spray a stream

Taffy Clayton 02-24-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1909175)
I have a retractable police baton as well as wasp spray. If someone, beast or human, comes after me, they're getting one of the two in the face.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wasp spray is brilliant!!!

Carry a whip, get pony used to hearing it swish and crack, and that the sound doesn't mean it is for her.

Teach her to stand, a running horse is a fun target for very bad dogs.

Practice going down the street on a lead then ground driving to see how she does, and how many dogs their are.

What a shame that you need to be concerned about this.

Good luck!

Wheatermay 02-25-2013 04:54 AM

Thanks! I think I'm going to try them all! I will have wasp spray, but the vinegar water is great idea if I'm in a pinch! She is already used to alot of things! Loud noises and everything! I tarp and crack whips and all that fun stuff. I started her when I got her. She was really no problem to train... if you even want to call it that. She was completely un-phased by anything "scary" I tried to show her, lol... But this year she is old enough to pull!

I will need to keep my pocket knife on me too! And stop forgetting it so often! And I will get either a whip or maybe a shortened walking stick.... Thanks for the ideas everyone! :)

Wheatermay 02-25-2013 04:58 AM

Fun addition on the thought of dogs. My mom moved down into this community from her BFE property, so her dogs was NOT used to horses and everything that passes. She doesnt do anything more than bark, but being a rider myself, I didnt like her barking at horses being rode by. So I rode my horse down, and she comes up over the hill barking with her fur puffed, and then I yelled at her from my horse. She immediately ducked her head and stopped barking, lol... Never has done it since! HAHA...

Tracer 02-25-2013 05:02 AM

It's a very real fear, Wheatermay.

Not the same situation, but my grandmothers' neighbour had three dogs, two staffordshire terriers and one rhodesian ridgeback. They were kept in a secure yard and were very friendly - my grandmother hates dogs but loved these guys.

Somehow two of them, a staffordshire bitch and the ridgeback, escaped the yard one day and went wandering. Keep in mind that this is in a rural area. To get where they ended up they had to pass properties with other dogs, cattle, and sheep. Eventually they found a paddock with a shetland pony. Long story short, the shetland ended up having to be put to sleep, same with both of the dogs who had never been aggressive before.

I don't mean to scare you though! I'm just glad you're taking precautions :)

Wheatermay 02-25-2013 04:08 PM

I know, and that's why we keep our two separated. One is tied or kept in the basement, and the other is brought in and out with the family. However we do let her out when school buses r dropping kids off. She walks all the kids home....

I would beat a dog to death for going after my little girl tho....