The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Surrey Horses Bahamas (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/surrey-horses-bahamas-154542/)

SCMD1954 02-24-2013 10:27 AM

Surrey Horses Bahamas

Hi

I am currently running a campaign to enforce the Animal Control and Protection Act here in the Bahamas. I would be very grateful if you would sign the petition I have created as part of the campaign.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/445/4...n-the-bahamas/

The horses live and work in under awful circumstances and many are in terrible condition. You can view pictures of the horses and their working environment at www.facebook.com/surreyhorsecause

Thank you

Speed Racer 02-24-2013 10:45 AM

Since the laws are already in place, what do you think an online petition is going to do to make the authorities actually enforce them?

Instead of a worthless internet petition, it might make more sense to go to the media and draw attention with a local campaign, as well as speak with the bureaus that are responsible for enforcement.

I do know that except for tourism the Bahamian people have no real way to make money, and the majority of them live in grinding poverty. Which means they can barely afford the necessities for themselves, much less keep their animals in the lap of luxury. I doubt they deliberately treat them badly, because they're necessary for their way of life.

You might be better served to look for solutions and how to help these people and their animals, instead of trying to take what little money they do have for fines.

SCMD1954 02-24-2013 10:57 AM

The petition has worked for other campaigns and I have nothing to lose by having created one - We are currently working with the Ministries to try and help these people - improve the quality of life for them and their horses - however many of these people don't care about their horses and take the view that when it breaks down I'll just get another one, which they do. I want to see improvements to the conditions of the horses and living environment - a change of location

SlideStop 02-25-2013 11:39 AM

I agree with speed, do something about it. You think anyone in the Bahamas is going to see an online petition?! They haven't in the past and I doubt they will start now. These people are POOR and when it comes down to feeding their family and the horses welfare guess what's taking the back burner?

Why not go down actually help these people? Teach them about proper nutrition. Make hay and food more available. Teach them about pasture rotation. Raise money to bring down proper harnesses, brides or pads. Ask a farrier to come down and teach them about proper hoof care and maybe how to trim.

Sitting behind a computer screen and making a petition is not helping anyone anymore then pressing "like" on a FB photo to "show your respect" or to "donate a dollar".
Posted via Mobile Device

SCMD1954 02-25-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 1911058)
I agree with speed, do something about it. You think anyone in the Bahamas is going to see an online petition?! They haven't in the past and I doubt they will start now. These people are POOR and when it comes down to feeding their family and the horses welfare guess what's taking the back burner?

Why not go down actually help these people? Teach them about proper nutrition. Make hay and food more available. Teach them about pasture rotation. Raise money to bring down proper harnesses, brides or pads. Ask a farrier to come down and teach them about proper hoof care and maybe how to trim.

Sitting behind a computer screen and making a petition is not helping anyone anymore then pressing "like" on a FB photo to "show your respect" or to "donate a dollar".
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Nightside 02-25-2013 11:43 AM

Honesty, I've been to a lot of island countries and the majority of horses I see are very skinny but still working. They are work animals and probably cheaper to replace than take to the vet or care properly for. I've seen plenty of dead horses on the side of the road. I don't take the tourist paths. Maybe try to start a drive to raise money for feed for the horses, not fines for struggling people.
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 02-25-2013 11:52 AM

SCMD, your response is blank.
Posted via Mobile Device

SCMD1954 02-25-2013 12:03 PM

We have already tried to help the owners and drivers - over the past 5 years we have managed to get hay and food in for the horses duty free - we have had an equine vet and dentist and also a farrier to train them on how to shoe their horses.

We have even tried to have meetings with the drivers to get their points of view about what improvements they think we can make - only one person turned up out of 30.

Starving the animals and making them work is not an excuse because the owners are poor - If they can't manage to maintain their horses then they should get another job - Just because you are poor does not mean you can inhumanely treat animals - there are no moral rules separating poor people from rich people.

Just like there is no excuse to go and rob someone because they are poor

SlideStop 02-25-2013 12:23 PM

If you did all that and nothing came about how exactly do you think an online petition is going to change their actions?
Posted via Mobile Device

SCMD1954 02-25-2013 12:29 PM

The online petition is there to show the government that people around the world are aware of this. Tourism sees this as an integral part of the tourist industry.

Local people have complained for years about the situation and nothing has changed. If we can get tourists or potential tourists to respond and comment on the petition then maybe something will get done
Posted via Mobile Device