The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Competitive Trail/Distance Driving? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/competitive-trail-distance-driving-154545/)

prairiewindlady 02-24-2013 11:09 AM

Competitive Trail/Distance Driving?

I am curious, what can y'all tell me about competitive trail and/or distance driving? I have googled it but didn't come up with much info. From what I understand NEDA is based in Nevada (too far away!), but there are supposedly some competitions in Florida and Vermont. I found more info on the ones in Vermont but FL is slightly closer to me. I have also read that SEDRA has a driving division but I couldn't find any events on their calendar. I would love to volunteer at a couple of drives if I could find any close enough and learn more about CTD. I have a 10 month old pony colt that I intend to drive when he is older and a 13.1h pony I think would also look great in harness. :D

prairiewindlady 02-26-2013 07:46 PM

Anyone?

greentree 02-27-2013 04:50 PM

I may be able to tell you a little bit. We tried to get this organized in my previous driving club, but noone could find enough trail, and we got bored on the road really fast.

Do you have a specific question?

As an overview, they are usually run like competitive trail, with penalties for all sorts of things. We did a staggered start, so every entry had to be recorded, and I think we figured an ideal drive time, and the closest person got recognized. It took quite a few volunteers.

The Midwest club sent us A LOT of info on the way they do their drives, so you may try them.

Good Luck!!

Nancy

Taffy Clayton 02-27-2013 05:04 PM

They do have some up by the Illinois/Wisconsin boarder.

I found it! Here is a link.

http://mdda.info/

I think it sounds like a blast, I am thinking of entering just to go on the drive and not even compete.

Have Fun!

michaelvanessa 02-27-2013 06:16 PM

distance driveing indurance

sounds fun indeed tc if you go sounds like youll have a good time and a lot of fun there.

Taffy Clayton 02-27-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelvanessa (Post 1915012)
sounds fun indeed tc if you go sounds like youll have a good time and a lot of fun there.

As soon as I get my new vehicle, Pilgrim and I are going to go places~:wink:

prairiewindlady 03-01-2013 08:29 AM

Thanks guys! It really sounds like fun and I just wish there were a few closer to me! We have no shortage of trails here in NC and VA...but I imagine coordinating things and generating enough interest (like you mentioned Nancy) would be the hardest part.

Joe4d 03-01-2013 09:23 AM

You are in NC? look into mule days, and other events in North east NC, there is a Quaker group the reenacts the Quaker exodus from that region on there migration to Ohio, the do about a hundred miles or so wagon train over a few days. In fact there was just a distance wagon event last weekend. It isnt competitive. But seems pretty neet.

Joe4d 03-01-2013 09:24 AM

pm me i can add you to a Facebook trail riders page that posts the ride and trail info.