The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Cinches and breast collars opinions wanted (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/cinches-breast-collars-opinions-wanted-154559/)

Railhead 02-24-2013 02:36 PM

Cinches and breast collars opinions wanted

Purchased two used saddles in good shape, but without cinches or breast collars. We will probably put in a couple of hours riding a week, tops. We are looking at pretty much the cheapest cinches on the market at discount shops. Is there any great value in spending beau coup bucks on more expensive cinches and collars for low use riding? All of these are cheap enough that we can always upgrade on short notice if we start something that warrants more activity and use. We are looking at the Gatsby Nylon cinch with fleece and two similarly priced and build cinches and some low priced nylon breast collars, as the horses are not exactly barnburners likely to create stress - just for that occasional unexpected occurence when the saddle wants to change places at the wrong time.

And, no, I'm not planning to stick conchos through the nylon...

usandpets 02-24-2013 03:36 PM

I've never used that brand myself. I use this though:
Weaver Felt-Lined Deluxe Super Cinch - Mills Fleet Farm

Cheaper isn't always the best choice. Especially, when it involves securing a saddle on a horse. You may get by with it, but if it really is cheaply made, it won't hold up. I wouldn't want to be heading down a hill or during a run and have the cinch break. That's why many don't like Chicago screws. They come undone easily but leather can break too if its old and dried out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kato 02-24-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandpets (Post 1909653)
That's why many don't like Chicago screws. They come undone easily but leather can break too if its old and dried out.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a weaver synthetic bridle that I paid $20 for....replaced the chicago screws with conways....worked great.

No cheaper is not always better, it may or may not work for your horse. My daughter rides once maybe twice a month and I got her this cinch because that is what works for both my horses.

Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Weaver Air Flex Roper Cinch

You can try cheaper but do not be surprised if you need to change to something else.

ShortyHorse11 02-25-2013 10:40 PM

I use this cinch on all my saddles including my barrel saddles. It is fairly cheap but lasts forever and never galls my horses. Just as good as a 50 dollar cinch in my opinion.

Western Air-Flow Straight Cinch - Horse.com
Posted via Mobile Device

Wanstrom Horses 02-25-2013 11:02 PM

I would cut corners and buy cheaper headstalls or reins before I cut corners with cinches. Doesn't matter the amount of riding you do, it's still one little strap holding you onto your horse...

Railhead 02-26-2013 08:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback. One of those that we were looking at lists in the forty dollar range, but is on sale, so maybe we'll try those and watch them closely (some things are always on 'sale'). As no one mentioned the breast collars, it appears that for smooth trail riding you don't see them as an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kato 02-26-2013 11:20 PM

As long as your saddle doesn't shift back while riding I don't see a need for a breast collar on smooth level trail. Now if you are going up some inclines or your saddle slips then by all means go a head and get one. But if not needed why spend the $. If you do decide to get one my friend has this one and loves it.....as well as it's cheap! My daughter uses a nylon and fleece one we got for $15. I prefer my biothane one(not cheap). Again it is all rider / horse preference.

usandpets 02-27-2013 12:54 AM

Unless you are going up steep inclines, the chest piece is more just for looks. A lower quality would be ok. There isn't as much force being applied to them as the cinch.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 02-27-2013 12:58 AM

If it was an option between buying a cheap breast collar and a cheap cinch or not having a breast collar and having more money for a good cinch, I'd go with the good cinch and forget the breast collar. If you are riding trails that aren't too steep and your saddle fits, then it really serves no purpose anyway.

One thing I won't do is cheapy cinches. Even on short rides, a crappy cinch can gall a horse pretty badly.