The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Descrpitive Writing About Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/descrpitive-writing-about-dressage-154560/)

Diamond Sutcliff 02-24-2013 01:41 PM

Descrpitive Writing About Dressage

I'm writing a story that involves dressage. I have always admired the sport from afar, but I have never had the opportunity to actually so it. I know a few things, but not enough to write about it. I have a few questions, and I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

When showing, how do you know what to do? Do you make up your own routine and preform it or do you have to perform a specific one?

Do you enter shows by level? I guess you do, but I'm just making sure.

Do small shows offer Grand Prix level?? For those who have some free time and don't want to go across the country??

What levels do these fall under:
Pirouette
Passage
Piaffe
Half pass
That things where the horse skips. They do a lead change with every stride in the canter - left lead, right lead, left lead, right lead, etc. every stride.
Shoulder in

And how might one describe the command used to get the horse to do those things?

Thanks in advance!

bubbleslove 02-24-2013 01:47 PM

Dressage goes by levels, as into Intro, Level 1, etc. Google it, last time I looked the online info, it was broken down very well (I think it's on FEI's website, at the time I was looking at Dressage Canada). Each level has tests, which are memorized beforehand although sometimes you may have someone on the rail call out each movement. I believe there are test samples online as well. When you go to a show, you enter based on what tests you will be riding, and the judge evaluates the movements you are required to perform. There are freestyles, which are done to music - very fun to watch.
Posted via Mobile Device

equitate 02-24-2013 05:41 PM

You can go to usef.org to look for the dressage rules/levels and find the tests there as well.

The tests are written by levels...from usDf.org (walk/trot tests and freestyles for national levels) to usEf tests (1-4th, national levels to national levels of fei tests of prix st georg/intermedaire 1&2/gp) to international fei shows.

When you show you follow a specific test pattern for that level. In freestyles you make up your own routine.

You enter by level (and you can only show two consecutive levels at a given show. Any show can offer all the levels, trailering across the US if usually for finals or international shows.

Pirouette/Passage/Piaffe/One tempos are Intermediare/GP movements.
shoulder in/Half pass/tempi changes (but not ones) starts in medium tempi changes start in the medium levels.Timing of aids asked for different movements/exercises.

faye 02-25-2013 05:59 AM

Depends what country you are basing your story in as different countrys have different systems