The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Al Khamsa Arabians (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/al-khamsa-arabians-154586/)

Monty77 02-24-2013 05:33 PM

Al Khamsa Arabians

Howdy,
I recently heard from a friend of mine about this "strain" of Arabian horse called Al Khamsa. My understanding is that these horses can be traced back to the original breeders of the Arabian horse, the Bedouin people, but that is where my knowledge ends.

Is there any way to determine the percentage of 'foundation' breeding in a horses pedigree, or is it generally assumed that certain bloodlines, like Egyptian, contain Al Khamsa breeding?

Any info would be wonderful :-)

Monty77 02-26-2013 04:25 PM

??????

Speed Racer 02-26-2013 04:41 PM

Your best bet would be to contact the Al Khamsa Society. They can answer your questions. Al Khamsa horses are a very small niche of Egyptian Arabians.

Start with their website: http://www.alkhamsa.org/

deserthorsewoman 02-26-2013 05:19 PM

All Arabian horses go back to the Bedouins. Al Khamsa, meaning " the five" are supposedly horses who trace back to prophet Mohammed's five war mares.
My honest opinion on that? No Arabian is purer than pure. There have been arguments over arguments on the internet about straight this, straight that, Al Khamsa, Blue List, Asil, whatever....the World Arabian Horse Association came up with a definition of the purebred Arabian and that's it. Everything else is just marketing.
They all go back to the horses imported from the desert, in the desert nothing was written down, just word of mouth.
Sorry if I busted anybody's bubble......

Speed Racer 02-26-2013 05:23 PM

Agreed, desert. Plus, the Bedouins traced pedigrees through the mare's tail line, not the stallion's. Mares were considered much more valuable than stallions. Too bad it's turned 180 degrees the other way now.

deserthorsewoman 02-26-2013 05:27 PM

Yup. Look at warmbloods....the dam is not even mentioned when they talk pedigree. Its sire and dam's sire. Exception is Holstein, there the mare lines are valued, but numbered.......totally off topic.....:-)

Monty77 02-27-2013 01:08 PM

I know what you mean about the dam not being important, I find it's like that in QH's as well.
But I get where you're all coming from with the whole 'pre Arab' thing. It's a clever way o sucker people out of some money. I just though it was interesting to be able calculate how much of a 'foundation' Arab a horse light be, similar to foundation bred QH.
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 02-27-2013 02:02 PM

You still can, without the" myth":-)
If you Google "Arlene Magid ", she does this for a living. She gives you exact %:of all lines present in a horse's pedigree, and a complete write up of accomplishments, who the horse or it's ancestors are related to and what they, and the relatives, have accomplished.
She used to do that in a forum years ago, but I don't think she still does it there, for free.
Or, join a good Arab forum;-)