The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Advice on how to get into the sport?? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/advice-how-get-into-sport-154588/)

MollyFurlong 02-24-2013 06:39 PM

Advice on how to get into the sport??

Hi! I'm 15 and live in northern PA, i have a pony that i have had success with in lots of different areas, (Ranch sorting, hunter/jumper, barrel racing, and trail challenges), but i have always wanted to do eventing. My mom has supported me in my dreams to compete in eventing, so she is willing to assst me, im just not sure where to begin.

I am wondering

- what vest to get (not too expensive, just bought a new saddle so a little short on cash)

- Can i wear my black hunt coat for dressage?

- what to do in order to prepare my horse for scarier jumps

- Where to compete in northern PA, i am willing to go int NY a little ways

Corazon Lock 02-24-2013 09:21 PM

Take a look at my thread, starting eventing on my own. A lot of people have those questions answered already, so look there!

To find events, go to the usea website and look in your region, or go to usef.

For scary jumps, make sure you use lots of leg! To practice, do any and all kinds of safe jumps. Put blankets over jumps, something under the jumps, etc etc.

MollyFurlong 02-24-2013 11:58 PM

Thank you! I will take a look!

MudPaint 02-28-2013 01:36 PM

I depends on where you are in PA. If you're to the east, Bucks Horse Park has some great starter events and schooling opportunities. Burgandy Hollow has a nice quiet series of unrecognized events. You can also check in NJ. I haven't gotten that way yet. I head mostly to MD. Loch Moy and Fairhill are by far my favorite places, but the drive is not so much fun. I'm smack in the middle so I tend to go south instead of north.

I like the Airowear vests. They are certified and eco-priced.
Yes you may wear your hunt coat so long as it's a dark solid color. To be honest, most events I've gone to (unrecognized) waved coats.
As for the scarier jumps... schooling, schooling, more schooling. Find a place like Bucks that has open schooling days and just hack around over the lower fences. What I was always taught was to school at least a level if not two over what you're showing. So if you've been doing 3' enter in the 2'3" division. You know your horse can handle the height no problem, so even the scary fences will be less daunting. It's important that your first few trips out are a good experience till your horse just hits auto jump mode on XC.

MollyFurlong 03-02-2013 03:11 PM

Thank you! I'm more to the north near the New York border, so those places are a little far away for me! But I have found some open schooling days and am planning on going.
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 03-02-2013 11:54 PM

You're in a good area for eventing. Lots of nice facilities in that area. You'll love it.

onuilmar 03-04-2013 11:41 AM

If you are 15, then the local Pony Club might be very beneficial for you. They essentially train for eventing and usually have sort of lesson program. They will also have contact with the local barns and trainers that are eventing oriented.

Good luck.

US Pony Clubs