The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   I decided to become a trimmer (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/i-decided-become-trimmer-154625/)

Animallover707 02-24-2013 11:43 PM

I decided to become a trimmer

So since im in the middle of no where in the mountains i decided to become a natural hoof trimmer. Iv done my own horses in the past when i couldnt get a farrier but now i want to be a professional. My friends agree that it would benifit my area and a lot of peoples horses if i learned to do it. I am looking for places in northern california where i can learn to trim professionally, near fort bragg would work as i have family there. I understand this will take at least a few months and i can make arrangements for my animals to be cared for. Please tell me if you know any schools that i could go to. Any information on hoof trimming is much appritiated. Thanks everybody!

Darrin 02-25-2013 12:34 AM

Check out the colleges. Just north of you Oregon State University has a farrier school. I'm sure there's a few colleges in CA that do the same. Or, call some farriers up and see if anyone takes on apprentices.

Animallover707 02-25-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin (Post 1910586)
Check out the colleges. Just north of you Oregon State University has a farrier school. I'm sure there's a few colleges in CA that do the same. Or, call some farriers up and see if anyone takes on apprentices.

Ya the problem is im out in the middle of no where, i cant even find a farrier to trim my horses. I looked all over north cali and im not finding much except an 8 week course thats 5000. i could take a semester of college for that much!

GamingGrrl 02-25-2013 12:52 AM

That's how long the average farrier course is and the average price too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Animallover707 02-25-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 1910650)
That's how long the average farrier course is and the average price too.
Posted via Mobile Device

thats weird that i can take a semester of college for the same price as an 8 week corse.... what is this world comming to. They wont even let me into college because my parents never made enough money to file taxes because they are both unemployed. ugh....im never going to get a good career

Darrin 02-25-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animallover707 (Post 1910656)
thats weird that i can take a semester of college for the same price as an 8 week corse.... what is this world comming to. They wont even let me into college because my parents never made enough money to file taxes because they are both unemployed. ugh....im never going to get a good career

That's how a lot of these types of programs work. I know someone looking into becoming a pharmacy tech. They can either take two years at the community college or pay 4k for an 8 week course that preps you to take the certification test. The 4k doesn't include fees to take the test....

poppy1356 02-25-2013 01:57 PM

You cannot compare the price of a special career degree to that of a college semester for four year degrees. Just isn't even in the same world. And $5,000 to get a degree is darned cheap. Student loans are a marvelous thing and they just so happen to pay for college until you graduate then you pay them back with the money you earn.

DancingArabian 02-25-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animallover707 (Post 1910656)

You should talk to a financial counselor at the college. Unless you are trying to get your parents to sign for a loan for you, their tax status shouldn't matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Animallover707 02-25-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1911341)
You should talk to a financial counselor at the college. Unless you are trying to get your parents to sign for a loan for you, their tax status shouldn't matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

The college i wanted to go to told me that they need a tax history of at least 2 years in order for me to attend.

Animallover707 02-25-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1911289)
You cannot compare the price of a special career degree to that of a college semester for four year degrees. Just isn't even in the same world. And $5,000 to get a degree is darned cheap. Student loans are a marvelous thing and they just so happen to pay for college until you graduate then you pay them back with the money you earn.

They wont give me a loan because of my parents history.