The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   SHould i stick with western (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/should-i-stick-western-15464/)

dallasheart242 10-02-2008 07:17 PM

SHould i stick with western

I have been riding western since i was about 5 and i no how to do every thing and lessons are getting boring my barns offers english to should i switch to english?????Do you think its better?Will i learn more????IS it harder ???[/b]

iridehorses 10-02-2008 08:01 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried:
Reining
Cutting
Sorting
Equitation
Trail (as in obstacle)
Pole bending
Barrel racing
Calf Roping
Team Roping
Pleasure

There is a lot to do Western! Personally I went the other way 20 years ago; starting out English and went Western. English isn't harder it's just different and typically more formal.

Good luck with your decision!

HrsGrl323 10-02-2008 08:13 PM

you could always ride both or try somthing new instead of lessons. go on a trail ride or to a playday

mell 10-02-2008 09:31 PM

i say have a go at english, you never know untill you try it! If you dont like it, stay with western.

farmpony84 10-03-2008 03:48 PM

I went from english to western and I personally think that western is WAY harder... so i think the transition to english would not be that hard for you.

PoptartShop 10-06-2008 03:56 PM

It's really a personal thing. For me, I started out Western but switched to English last year. I LOVE it! :D Never switching back, haha. I do better English. But anyway, it really depends- one isn't harder than the other, they are just different. I think you should give it a try, though. You might love it! :) I also find the English saddle to be more comfy, but that's just me lol.

irisheyes12 10-06-2008 05:47 PM

It never hurts to experiment. I ride western as a young kid (6 or 7) and then went to english lessons around 8 or 9. I'm an avid western rider now but jumping in an english saddle once in awhile is a fun change, too.

LadyDreamer 10-09-2008 08:26 PM

Sure! Try it. WE can't tell you if one is better than the other. That is something you have to decide on your own.

The way I look at it is, you aren't SWITCHING, you are ADDING! I am a Saddleseat Rider through and through. I am taking Western lessons right now and LOVE it! I don't love it as much as Saddleseat, but nevertheless it is still fun to know. I feel that it is something I will want to keep doing.

Try it!

Gingerrrrr 10-09-2008 09:21 PM

i think western is more comfortable and way easier then english!

LadyDreamer 10-09-2008 10:42 PM

See, Ginger. I am the exact opposite. I see my flat cutback as "Comfy, and Secure" while this big Western Saddle that I can barely get on my horse(okay, I lack upper body strength) is too bulky under my legs, and is not very comfortable. It IS getting better though. I am getting used to it! How funny!

One word of advice for the OP... don't try it once. Set yourself up to actually TRY it. Don't get in the saddle and say "This is weird, I'm going back." Stick with it for a little while. And don't be afraid to sink back to your comfort zone during your trial period. I think the only thing that has kept me sane is being able to go back and ride mine in between my lessons.