The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Need opinion on this hoof problem (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/need-opinion-hoof-problem-154653/)

mam1503 02-25-2013 03:02 AM

Need opinion on this hoof problem

5 Attachment(s)
Can anyone help with what this horses problem is / might be?

He has had no change in his diet. He hasn't moved to a new paddock. Same farrier. Still out and about being ridden. The paddocks were quite wet and are not extremely dry - other than that, no change in environment.

The vet has been out to him and he didn't know what it was and was going to get back to the owner but hasn't as yet.

She had her vet out and he wasn't sure what it was.

His coronet band was bleeding for a little while but this has stopped now. She used a anti-bacterial wash (not sure which one) and that seemed to have stopped the bleeding.

She asked me and I have no idea.

His chestnut and anus are also starting to look 'not quite right'.

I suggested shoes come off but unsure as to what his problem might be.

Is it some sort of fungal infection? Bacteria attacking his feet? Thrush?

Treatment???

HELP PLEASE :cry:

AmazinCaucasian 02-25-2013 07:19 PM

He appears to have manure burn on his feet and a tick on his butthole.

-as long as he's in a confined area, the manure burn will come and go, depending on moisture

-in reference to the tick, pull it off and wash yer hands good

huntergrl 02-25-2013 07:42 PM

Get a natural barefoot farrier and take the shoes off. Put the cavallo boots on him. I might even try them just to ease my horses feet sometimes. They are really cool

AmazinCaucasian 02-25-2013 08:00 PM

Side note .....

Some people like to burn ticks with their lighter which is fine, but don't do it while its on his butt hole. It could be very much bad for you

RunWalk 02-25-2013 08:34 PM

I would find a vet that had at least one clue.

Lady Mustang 02-25-2013 09:18 PM

i got a good question! my 3 mini horses were founderred before i got them. we got a ferrier to come trim their hooves once a month and they grow back so fast. my ferrier yells at me for their condition even though i don't give them any treats or feed! i go to college so my brothers look after them for me and feed them a block of hay each day. my question is: is there any way to rid being founderred all together?

Beling 02-26-2013 01:24 PM

Is that "not extremely dry" or "now extremely dry"?

We suffer horribly wet weather here, but even a few days of dryness can make the feet really hard and crumbly-looking. Possibly the coronet bleeding was due merely because of a slight injury, which would normally have been "absorbed" by the rubbery texture of the coronet, but in this case, it cracked.

Perhaps letting him stand in a little mud would help?

I use Vaseline on skin (white nose) to keep rain off; then mineral oil in places to keep skin softer. (I think I just like to fuss!)

I'm glad he's sound. Lots of exercise always seems to "even out" effects of environment.

Tarpan 02-26-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian (Post 1911840)
He appears to have manure burn on his feet and a tick on his butthole.

-as long as he's in a confined area, the manure burn will come and go, depending on moisture

-in reference to the tick, pull it off and wash yer hands good

Oh man I feel bad for the horse but I cannot stop laughing about the tick thing...

loosie 02-26-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Mustang (Post 1912071)
i got a good question! my 3 mini horses were founderred before i got them. we got a ferrier to come trim their hooves once a month and they grow back so fast. my ferrier yells at me for their condition even though i don't give them any treats or feed! i go to college so my brothers look after them for me and feed them a block of hay each day. my question is: is there any way to rid being founderred all together?

Lady mustang, yes is the short answer, but there's a lot to it, so best start a new thread

mam1503 02-27-2013 06:21 AM

Beling - sorry bad typing :-)

Paddock 'now extremely dry' except we've now had nothing but lots of rain for the last 2 days so I'm sure they very wet again.