The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tipperary Sportage or IRH ATH for maximum head coverage? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tipperary-sportage-irh-ath-maximum-head-154654/)

LostDragonflyWings 02-25-2013 03:39 AM

Tipperary Sportage or IRH ATH for maximum head coverage?

Right now I have an Aegis. Like this or similar:
Aegis Ussepa Helmet - Horse.com

I am debating on either getting a Tipperary Sportage or an IRH ATH.

Tipperary:
Tipperary Sportage Helmet - Equestrian Riding Helmets from SmartPak Equine

IRH:
IRH ATH Switch Helmet - ASTM/SEI Certified Helmets from SmartPak Equine

I know the most important thing is that the helmet fits, but which helmet has better coverage on your head? Which best covers the base of the back of your head? The Tipperary looks like it drops more in the back...?

Thanks!

SorrelHorse 02-25-2013 04:41 AM

If I worse helmets more often I would wear the IRH to show and the tipperary at home.

The tipperary is my absolute favorite helmet for comfort and fit to the shape of my head (round buckets like troxel just don't do it for me) but while a lot of people show in them I don't like the look for showing. The IRH is much classier, but that's just my opinion.

They're both excellent helmets though.

LostDragonflyWings 02-25-2013 04:51 PM

Thanks! Since I don't show that often, I am thinking of getting a Tipperary for at home and xc clinics, etc. Then keep my current helmet for shows and put a cover on it.... until I feel like splurging for an IRH too! ;)

Joe4d 02-25-2013 10:29 PM

get one that is fit, those dialy twisty adjusty doodads break or wont stay adjusted. Tangle and pull your hair and make the helmet wobbly. The sportage is just sized to fit with a couple different head bands, Far superior product. There are other helmets including some by IRH that are made that way without the harness.

LostDragonflyWings 02-25-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1912211)
get one that is fit, those dialy twisty adjusty doodads break or wont stay adjusted. Tangle and pull your hair and make the helmet wobbly. The sportage is just sized to fit with a couple different head bands, Far superior product. There are other helmets including some by IRH that are made that way without the harness.

Thanks. Yeah, my current helmet has the little dial thing in the back. I prefer something that fits correctly without having to be adjusted! That helmet feels like it is just "on" my head and will shift or partly come off in a bad fall. I want a helmet that can better shape/"wrap" around my head.

LostDragonflyWings 04-14-2013 07:13 PM

I ended up splurging and getting an IRH Elite. More than I initially wanted to spend, but it fits perfectly and I love it. No stupid dial that slips and loosens, and it hugs my whole head. If I fall, I am more certain it will stay with me and not slip to the side.

beau159 04-14-2013 07:23 PM

I have a tippery sportage and I love it!!

Comfortable and is not too bulky looking.
Posted via Mobile Device