The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Some of what I used to make (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/some-what-i-used-make-154655/)

GlassPlatypus 02-25-2013 04:15 AM

Some of what I used to make

10 Attachment(s)
I'm really only posting these because someone wanted to see what I made. I don't even remember who it was now, so I don't know that they'll even see this. Oh well.

I know full well that this stuff doesn't really qualify as "art", but since there's no thread for "crafts", I guess this is the best place for them. :oops:

These animals were hand-sewn a few years ago. I mostly made horses, but decided to show other animals I've done too. I do NOT make them anymore, due mainly to a major blow-up with a family member who thought they were stupid. I may try to do some again someday, but right now I no longer have the desire. Anyway, here goes:

Grazing Horse
Attachment 130885

'Galaxy' Horse
Attachment 130886

Unicorn
Attachment 130887

Gemsbok
Attachment 130888

Other side...
Attachment 130889

Donkey
Attachment 130890

Back...
Attachment 130891

Other side...
Attachment 130892

Llama
Attachment 130893

Other side...
Attachment 130894

No, they're not very good, but I didn't make them to win contests, I made them as a hobby because I used to enjoy it.

I have many more horses, but will only consider posting pics if anyone really wants me to.

Tracer 02-25-2013 04:27 AM

Ohmygosh, adorable! Are they made of felt?

I am getting into felt myself. I'm currently working on making a handbag for a little girl with a lipstick, compact, wallet, phone, the works :)

I'd love to see more of your work!

Marlea Warlea 02-25-2013 08:06 AM

Oh my goodness! That is honestly amazing, and so so cute! You could sell your work, I know you don't make them any more but honestly that is amazing!

GlassPlatypus 02-25-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlea Warlea (Post 1910864)
Oh my goodness! That is honestly amazing, and so so cute! You could sell your work, I know you don't make them any more but honestly that is amazing!

I really can't sell them, at least I can't find any stores in my area that have the slightest interest in them.

When I first moved here, I took some of them to a crafter's mall (now gone) and they sold one or two. I visited the store later to see where they placed them. They were stuck in dark corners or close to the floor where customers wouldn't likely see them. The owner apparently didn't like them or was embarassed to have them in her store, but didn't want to tell me that- so that was how she handled it.

Then I tried to get a local tack shop (also gone now) to accept them. No dice. Totally not even interested. Nobody around here wants them.

I have my reasons for not selling online (read some seller horror stories about etsy, for example) so I won't go that route either. And then, as mentioned before, my BIL hates them and there was a major issue about that when I had to live with him and my sister a few years back.

So, yeah. No real incentive to keep making them.

I'll try to find some of the other better horses and get pics up of them too. It may take a little while though, as I would have to hunt for them.

tinyliny 02-25-2013 12:57 PM

Well, this forum could be a great way for you to sell them. you can do commissions, of individual horses. I would like to know a bit more about how you make them, the materials, and most of all, the size. it's hard to tell without something in the photos for reference.

they are adorable!

JaphyJaphy 02-25-2013 01:02 PM

I really dig the llama! Tiny's idea of doing commissions is a great suggestion. I'd definitely be interested in buying one (who wouldn't want a tiny, portable version of their horse?) and I'm sure others would as well.

Speed Racer 02-25-2013 01:04 PM

Actually, I like them quite a bit. You have real talent. That donkey is adorable!

GlassPlatypus 02-25-2013 01:29 PM

I'm about to head off to work, but maybe when I get home, or in the next couple of days, I'll get more pics up.

Honestly though, with working full time (and usually being quite tired from it) I don't know where I'd find the time or energy to work on these as commissions. Nice idea, though- just can't see it becoming a reality at this time.

Edit: Oh, as for size, they're about 4 inches high.

JaphyJaphy 02-25-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassPlatypus (Post 1911245)
I'm about to head off to work, but maybe when I get home, or in the next couple of days, I'll get more pics up.

Honestly though, with working full time (and usually being quite tired from it) I don't know where I'd find the time or energy to work on these as commissions. Nice idea, though- just can't see it becoming a reality at this time.

Edit: Oh, as for size, they're about 4 inches high.

Well, the good thing about it is that you can do them at your own pace, and take on orders as you choose. :wink:

Golden Horse 02-25-2013 01:40 PM

That donkey is totally gorgeous!