The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   learning how to ride (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/learning-how-ride-154661/)

Shenee 02-25-2013 06:28 AM

learning how to ride

Hey iím a beginner with riding and i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on learning how to ride on a stuborn/lazy horseÖ? he is only 3 yet so lazy and stubornÖ

Tracer 02-25-2013 07:09 AM

First off, you should not be learning to ride on a 3 year old. That is a disaster waiting to happen. The horse would be green at best, and as the old saying goes "green + green = black and blue".

Second, a lazy/stubborn horse is a great learning tool. It means you don't have to worry about a horse taking off on you. When you are starting out, you need to focus on you. Your aids, your position, your balance, and the list goes on. Plus, learning how to work a stubborn horse is a valuable tool.

But really, find yourself a more experienced horse to learn on. You need a horse that has been around the block and done practically everything.

Shenee 02-26-2013 05:04 AM

He used to be a kids leadline horse. i have ridden him and so did my mum and 4yo nephew and did great! yeh i kno he wont take off on me thanks and how would you suggest too work a stubborn horse ? and Jasper is already my horse thanks :D

Saranda 02-26-2013 05:36 AM

First off, we don't know, if he is really stubborn - sometimes horses seem lazy and stubborn, but in fact they are confused and/or scared, and their way of saying it is refusing to move or seemingly paying no attention to cues. Also, it can be related to health issues or not being able to carry out the worload he's asked to. And, as the horse is very young, he might need a more experienced rider to set all the cues very clear to him, just as you should take lessons on a more experienced horse, so that you don't teach your horse unwanted behaviors or make him sour. There's not much else to suggest, just get a competent trainer from your area and find a riding school for yourself. You and your horse will both be better off that way.

Shenee 02-27-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saranda (Post 1912598)
First off, we don't know, if he is really stubborn - sometimes horses seem lazy and stubborn, but in fact they are confused and/or scared, and their way of saying it is refusing to move or seemingly paying no attention to cues. Also, it can be related to health issues or not being able to carry out the worload he's asked to. And, as the horse is very young, he might need a more experienced rider to set all the cues very clear to him, just as you should take lessons on a more experienced horse, so that you don't teach your horse unwanted behaviors or make him sour. There's not much else to suggest, just get a competent trainer from your area and find a riding school for yourself. You and your horse will both be better off that way.

oh yerh okay thanks.

Peppy Barrel Racing 02-27-2013 12:56 PM

look and ask around you maybe be able to find an experienced trainer who gives lessons by the hour. i give riding lessons on the side there are many people who do.

Palomine 02-27-2013 02:16 PM

Good advice is being given. You really need to take it as will make riding better for you and horse.

Skyseternalangel 02-27-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shenee (Post 1912594)
He used to be a kids leadline horse. i have ridden him and so did my mum and 4yo nephew and did great! yeh i kno he wont take off on me thanks and how would you suggest too work a stubborn horse ? and Jasper is already my horse thanks :D

He used to be a kid's leadline horse? At 3?

I agree with finding an instructor and possibly learning on a more appropriate horse..

Shenee 02-28-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing (Post 1914565)
look and ask around you maybe be able to find an experienced trainer who gives lessons by the hour. i give riding lessons on the side there are many people who do.

oh yerh where abouts are you located ? iím guessing nowhere near me :cry:

Shenee 02-28-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1914721)
He used to be a kid's leadline horse? At 3?

I agree with finding an instructor and possibly learning on a more appropriate horse..

yeh i am finding on thanks. and yep he sure did :) he is amazing :)