The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   cowboy mounted shooting advice needed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/cowboy-mounted-shooting-advice-needed-154670/)

EthanQ 02-25-2013 10:06 AM

cowboy mounted shooting advice needed

I am interested in this discipline but so far have found no one local who could help me out.
what will I need besides finding the right gun and holster, ear plugs for both rider and horse, and of course the western costuming!
is there anything else?
My horse has been an all around horse and is comfortable with gunfire.
Sorry Mobile is being slow and not allowing Caps.

LynnF 02-25-2013 01:16 PM

I am not sure if the regulations are the same where you are, but up here you are not allowed to go to any practices or competitions unless you have gone to a clinic to have your horse certified safe to shoot off of.
You will need 2 colt .45 revolvers (single action as double actions are not allowed for competition) and a gun belt that will hold them safely in place but does not have any snaps/straps/etc to hold the gun into the holster. The rounds are black powder blanks (do not have a bullet), I am not sure if you can buy them pre-loaded or not as my dad has always made his own.
Look into local clubs and contact somebody about more information specific to your area.
Go on to the Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association (CMSA) website and they should be able to help you find locals to help you out.

EthanQ 02-25-2013 08:20 PM

I found an association for the sport in the area.
I also found a store that sells guns, holsters and western wear but I have been instructed by members of the club to try some of their stuff before I actually buy it so I know for sure what I want.
Now, where do I go to buy ear plugs for my horse? I didnt even know they were made.

Allison Finch 02-25-2013 08:33 PM

Try Tonto Rim. I got my horse ear plugs there.

Tonto Rim Trading Company

The ear plugs

http://tontorim.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page83.html

LisaG 02-25-2013 11:02 PM

I've also heard that cat toys work for ear plugs. They're squishy balls. But that being said, I personally might shell out to buy the real thing just in case the cat toys are bunk.

I haven't tried CMS yet, but I'm interested in it. As a Canadian, I'll have to get my permits in order first, though. Plus the horse I want to use is still pretty green.

One thing I was wondering was how people get their horses gun broke. I've read about it online, but was wondering what other people do.

LynnF 02-25-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaG (Post 1912302)
I've also heard that cat toys work for ear plugs. They're squishy balls. But that being said, I personally might shell out to buy the real thing just in case the cat toys are bunk.

I haven't tried CMS yet, but I'm interested in it. As a Canadian, I'll have to get my permits in order first, though. Plus the horse I want to use is still pretty green.

One thing I was wondering was how people get their horses gun broke. I've read about it online, but was wondering what other people do.

When my dad got started he went to a clinic, they spend a day getting your horse used to guns. They start with a loud whip, then a cap gun, then a real gun with 1/2 loads (1/2 as much gun powder so not as loud), by the end of the day your horse will be broke to gunfire. Like I said before, in my area your horse must be certified before being allowed to go to shoots. I am not sure if that is the same everywhere though.

EthanQ 02-25-2013 11:43 PM

In Kansas they only provide clinics for beginners ...no certification needed as far as I can tell.

LisaG 02-26-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnF (Post 1912345)
When my dad got started he went to a clinic, they spend a day getting your horse used to guns. They start with a loud whip, then a cap gun, then a real gun with 1/2 loads (1/2 as much gun powder so not as loud), by the end of the day your horse will be broke to gunfire. Like I said before, in my area your horse must be certified before being allowed to go to shoots. I am not sure if that is the same everywhere though.

I imagine it's the same where I am. I'm actually in Sask, just over the border from AB. There's a very active club in my area, and I've been meaning to check out a practice.

I didn't realize they could get a horse gunbroke in a day. That's great. Much simpler than what I was thinking.

Joe4d 02-26-2013 01:10 AM

can you guys in Canada get cap an ball percussion revolvers ? If so get them in 44 caliber. Thats what I did when I was getting gear, you can get 100 caps for a couple bucks and use them for training, then add pyrodex and some tissue paper wadding for more noise and also for actual practice. You can get 45 colt conversion cylinders for most of the Uberti's. I have 58 Remingtons.

LisaG 02-26-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1912518)
can you guys in Canada get cap an ball percussion revolvers ? If so get them in 44 caliber. Thats what I did when I was getting gear, you can get 100 caps for a couple bucks and use them for training, then add pyrodex and some tissue paper wadding for more noise and also for actual practice. You can get 45 colt conversion cylinders for most of the Uberti's. I have 58 Remingtons.

I don't know for sure, but I can't see why we couldn't. Thanks for the tip!

I'm a long way from actually buying my own gun, but here's the website someone recommended > Marstar Canada - 4" Barrel