The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Best Fence for Your Buck? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/best-fence-your-buck-154685/)

RivendellNative 02-25-2013 12:11 PM

Best Fence for Your Buck?

Hey everyone,

I was curious as to what your opinions are on good but cheap fences. What are your favorite brands/styles? My dad and I are looking into various kinds so we can be 100% sure that we bought the right kind when we start putting it up this spring. My dad has really looked into the Cameo brand fences, I just wondered if there are any other good-but-affordable fences out there?

-Kennedi

Nightside 02-25-2013 12:15 PM

Most everyone I know uses field fence, the big squares that come in a roll. Unroll, pull tight, and staple. Pretty easy as far as fences go.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 02-25-2013 08:02 PM

I have the multi-strand, High-tensile electric, smooth wire New Zealand fencing. 4 strands in the pasture, 5 strands in the turnouts. It's probably the cheapest to install, and its fine. I am working to replace it with no climb mesh and a solid top rail with 2" hot tape, ONLY Because I regularly breed and have foals.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 02-25-2013 08:22 PM

I wouldn't put in field fencing if you paid me to. I am looking at ripping out 15 acres of it. Horse put his foot through a square, caught his shoe and ripped off shoe + half of hoof. This was 3 months after he tried was fighting with a horse on the other side, reared up and slammed his foot down on it which of course sliced the entire back of his heel bulb open.

Fencing is cheaper than Vet + Farrier bills.... TRUST ME!

My horse is very respectful of fencing (providing the idiot neighbor doesn't pasture his gelded at 15 horse on the other side who is KNOWN to pick fights with every single gelding) so I'm going to do 4 strands of electric tape on the existing T-posts and electrify 2 of them.

FlyGap 02-25-2013 08:27 PM

28 Attachment(s)
We are putting in no climb with electric on top.
$1.90 a foot installed. But I'm sure after 1 day of pounding into solid limestone it'll go up, LOL!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 02-25-2013 08:36 PM

We use high tinsel. 5 wire in the front pasture because it was there (though I just cut the bottom wire out). And two wire in the back. If the front wasn't already done I'd just use two wire.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nightside 02-25-2013 08:45 PM

Haha, I've never had a problem with field fence. Mine is field fence with a strand of barb wire at the top, about 6 feet high. Encourages the horses to keep their heads on their own side o the fence. But then again, I also don't keep horses with shoes so that may make a bit of difference. The rest of the pastures are either chain link with wood at the top to block the pokies, or just plain wood. Neither of those second options are usually cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nickers2002 02-26-2013 08:46 AM

We bought the place with wooden post and board. So far so good and the fences are about 15 years old we were told so should get at least another decade out of them before thinking of replacing anything hopefully.

Koolio 02-26-2013 09:20 AM

I've had 4 strands of 3/8"electrified poly rope attached to treated wood posts for coming up 3 years now. It was relatively inexpensive to install and has been pretty close to maintenance free through all 4 of our extreme seasons. It still looks fantastic. I have not had a fence related injury with any of my 4 horses on this fence yetand they all have a healthy respect for it. (Knock on wood) I do keep it hot, so I do have the maintenance cost of power, but that is it.

Basically this is an inexpensive and very effective system.

Cat 02-26-2013 09:27 AM

We use electrified poly rope and aluminum wire. The rope for visibility and the aluminum wire seems to offer a better shock on thick manes. The place started with the electrified tape but it regularly snapped and stretched in our high winds - even the more expensive stuff so we switched to the rope and strand of aluminum wire instead and have been very happy since.

Easy and affordable and even the haflinger we had that would use any wood fencing like a gate and walk through stayed in the electric fencing.