The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Whippy saddle--Foam or Wool flocking? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/whippy-saddle-foam-wool-flocking-154698/)

mooser 02-25-2013 02:31 PM

Whippy saddle--Foam or Wool flocking?

I have an old whippy cc saddle, and am trying to find out if it has foam or wool flocking. I have no idea how to go about doing this, so any suggestions would be awesome! Thank you!

verona1016 02-25-2013 02:40 PM

Both of my saddles are wool flocked- when I lift the flap all the way up I can see the slits that the saddle fitter would use to pull flocking in/out when adjusting it. I'm not sure if a foam saddle would have the slits at all, but if they do you should be able to poke around in them and see if there's wool or foam in there.

mooser 02-25-2013 02:53 PM

Okay, it doesn't have the slits, but I can just barely see inside the stitching and it looks like it might be foam. Thank you!

unclearthur 02-25-2013 04:22 PM

If it's a genuine Whippy that's not been messed with, it'll be wool. As far as I can remember they stopped making saddles in the 1970s. Shame, because they began in the 18th century :(

mooser 02-25-2013 04:30 PM

Okay, thank you. Any idea on what it might be worth? It's in excellent condition.

unclearthur 02-25-2013 04:41 PM

Peanuts, I'm afraid, if it's from the seventies.

If it were older with some historical value, that's different - anything military, particularly with regimental markings, would carry a premium. Whippy also made a lot of sidesaddles and in good condition they make serious money.

It might be worth more to Whippy collector if it's an unusual or rare model, but few catalogues survive (I've never seen one and I keep an eye out for that sort of stuff) so it'd be hard to find that out. Otherwise it's just a 40-year-old, used saddle with a famous name.

Sorry I can't be more optimistic :(

mooser 02-25-2013 05:01 PM

Dang. Alright, well thank you so much for the information!

bonyroany 02-27-2013 04:54 PM

It's most likely wool if it's never been reflocked.