The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My horse keep putting her head down when I'm riding her. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-keep-putting-her-head-154699/)

hhhryr 02-25-2013 02:34 PM

My horse keep putting her head down when I'm riding her.

My horse keeps putting her head down and pulling against the rein, any help on how to fix this.

Palomine 02-25-2013 02:42 PM

You are not up there for decorative purposes, you have to ride the horse.

And the time to stop this is before she gets head down, which means you need to be aware of what horse is doing, AND what she is planning to do.

Watch her ears. When a horse's ears move so that one is back and one is forwards? They are thinking and that is a bad thing as they are thinking about doing something they aren't supposed to be doing, such as dropping head, or wandering "accidentally" into tree trunk.

The second you see ears like that, you need to tighten up slightly on reins, kiss to her, or bring calves onto her sides, lightly, and let her know you are wise to her tricks and are not going to tolerate it.

And you will NOT ever win a battle of strength with a horse, you have to out think them, and that means riding proactively, not reactively.

Also, you need to look at your handling mechanics as well, as usually this type of thing goes hand in hand with other problems. Horse snatching lead rope from you to graze when leading, horse fidgeting around when you are grooming, horse showing aggression at feeding.

All those are signs that you are not running the show, the horse is.

nvr2many 02-25-2013 02:52 PM

"You are not up there for decorative purposes, you have to ride the horse."

:rofl:

hhhryr 02-25-2013 03:16 PM

I understand that I am not up there for decorative purposes I am riding the horse not just sitting there. She pulls and throws her head around. She is only four years old and I just started riding her, was looking for suggestions on how to fix the problem.

Skyseternalangel 02-25-2013 04:11 PM

Just lift your hands up and use more leg to bring her up. Once she's back up, then you can relax your hands again.

She's just seeing what she can get away with.

Sahara 02-25-2013 07:56 PM

Has she had her teeth done recently? At that age a lot of changes are occurring in her mouth. She may have wolf teeth that are getting banged up by the bit. What type of bit are you using?

palogal 02-25-2013 08:02 PM

Four year olds do that from time to time, make sure there are no dental issues and the bit fits properly first.

Deschutes 02-25-2013 08:10 PM

Shooter always checks contact. For example, when riding bitless, he will always put his head down, sometimes so low his nose is close to the ground, because he is searching for contact.

Otherwise, he still does this on loose reign, which makes me think he needs contact more so than loose reign. Your horse may just be searching for contact as she prefers it.

But... If she is tossing her head, it does seem like a bit/pain problem. What do you use?
Posted via Mobile Device

hhhryr 02-26-2013 12:51 PM

I am not using a bit. I am riding her with a halter and I had her wolf teeth removed about a year and a half ago. Thanks for all the incite.

Deschutes 02-26-2013 01:01 PM

I think riding bitless may be your problem.

Horses have sensitive noses, and if she feels there is too much pressure on her nose, that may cause the headshaking. Her pulling the reigns out might also be her way of saying to get out of her face.

Why do you ride bitless?
Posted via Mobile Device