The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Riding critique? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/riding-critique-154704/)

JavaLover 02-25-2013 03:43 PM

Riding critique?

This is a video that I made today. I sent it in to my soon-to-be college instructor to critique my riding. Please note that this was my first time riding in MONTHS. I know that I have a hard time keeping my heels down because I was wearing rubber boots, my toes were numb from the cold, and for some reason my right ankle was killing me! Not to mention that the preggo pony had lots of go! I also tried not to push her too hard at the canter because it was kind of icy and we were in the middle of a lesson so I really didn't have that much room ..

This video shows the good and the bad -

Skyseternalangel 02-25-2013 06:08 PM

Before I even watch the video.. having ankle pain and not being able to stretch your elg down will definitely affect your riding and your horse as well. Maybe it's the footwear choice or the weight of your leg is more in your foot braced against your stirrup.

Just things to consider... will watch after I come back from lunch.

JavaLover 02-25-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1911737)
Before I even watch the video.. having ankle pain and not being able to stretch your elg down will definitely affect your riding and your horse as well. Maybe it's the footwear choice or the weight of your leg is more in your foot braced against your stirrup.

Just things to consider... will watch after I come back from lunch.

It very well could be - I was thinking that maybe my stirrups weren't long enough? My riding instructor never said anything about them but I was just uncomfortable the whole ride. It was only the right ankle too.

waresbear 02-25-2013 06:45 PM

Before I can critique anything, your stirrups are too short and your saddle is way too far forward, it is practically sitting on your horse's shoulders, also that saddle is the wrong seat size for you, it's too small I am afraid.

Skyseternalangel 02-25-2013 06:50 PM

Yeah your stirrups are WAY too short.. and your saddle it too far forward. Have you been working with a riding instructor before this?

Your arms look stiff.. which is causing your horse to not stretch out and find rhythm at the walk. Try loosening them up and follow the horse's movement :)
You're moving too much of your upper body with each step the horse takes... quieten your top half and allow your hips to move. I guarantee they're stuck due to the saddle.. it's not doing your positioning any justice.

I don't see your horse loose enough for you to sit trot on right away.. I'd always try to post before I attempted sitting trot, merely to prepare my horse to have a nice soft working back.

JavaLover 02-25-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1911800)
Before I can critique anything, your stirrups are too short and your saddle is way too far forward, it is practically sitting on your horse's shoulders, also that saddle is the wrong seat size for you, it's too small I am afraid.

I thought so too - that was the only saddle my instructor had that fits that mare

JavaLover 02-25-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1911804)
Yeah your stirrups are WAY too short.. and your saddle it too far forward. Have you been working with a riding instructor before this?

Your arms look stiff.. which is causing your horse to not stretch out and find rhythm at the walk. Try loosening them up and follow the horse's movement :)
You're moving too much of your upper body with each step the horse takes... quieten your top half and allow your hips to move. I guarantee they're stuck due to the saddle.. it's not doing your positioning any justice.

I don't see your horse loose enough for you to sit trot on right away.. I'd always try to post before I attempted sitting trot, merely to prepare my horse to have a nice soft working back.

I was working with a riding instructor until she moved locations and became farther away. I just went in for a lesson to get this video done. I was doing a lot of riding before this video and she was going perfect around the ring. It was only when we started doing circles that she sped up, she's normally a perfect western pleasure horse.

QHriderKE 02-25-2013 08:25 PM

You're the person planning to take that course at Lakeland college right?
Can you share what your college instructor has to say?

Not bad :)

Drop those stirrups a few holes and then get a new video! I betcha it will be easier to get those heels down!

JavaLover 02-25-2013 08:34 PM

Yep! I am :) as soon as he emails me back ill let you know!
Posted via Mobile Device

QHriderKE 02-25-2013 08:36 PM

Hahaha awesome! I wanna see where I'd stand. XD