The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Tips on mane growth (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/tips-mane-growth-154711/)

Stichy 02-25-2013 05:29 PM

Tips on mane growth

Hey again...so I was wondering...How do you guys get your horses manes so long?!? I mean, I love Brandy's mane and all but...I'M NOT SATISFIED! Lol, yes I'm one of "those" people. I probably wont be satisfied until I get a Hollywood Dun It mane... So what are your tips? We already use cowboy magic (that thing works wonders!) but anything else? When we first got her she had like no mane, so were pretty proud of this (so far) We were going to show in halter...then I read that you have to chop off their mane...Welp, guess Brandy's a reiner now! Sorry, random. Anyways, back to the topic. What are your tips? We already have her tail taken care of ;) (can't get it to stop growing!) Also it will help with Annie :)

DraftyAiresMum 02-25-2013 05:34 PM

Some horses just don't naturally grow long manes (and/or tails). No matter what you do, it just won't grow long. My best friend's Arab is that way. His mane and tail haven't grown all that much since I met him two years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

ponypile 02-25-2013 05:44 PM

Using MTG on the roots of the mane and tail really works for hair growth. I rode an appaloosa one year who went from wisps of of mane, so a normal mane in 2-3 months. If your horse already has a decent mane, keep it clean, detangled, and don't brush it often. What some people do is the mane in braids or in mane bags to prevent breakage.

Toadstool Farm Mane Bags

Also, if you decide to keep it in braids/mane bags in the summer, be sure to be very diligent about fly control and grooming to prevent the horse from itching and rubbing the mane off.

Stichy 02-25-2013 05:59 PM

Thanks, Ponypile! One question though...What is MTG?

HorseCrazyTeen 02-25-2013 10:51 PM

This is MTG: MTG Conditioner

It smells but it really works. There was one Appy that had literally no tail and they put that stuff on it. It helped the tail grow a few inches in a pretty short amount of time. I haven't seen that horse for a while so I don't know what it's like now. Appys aren't known for their lush tails, but something's better than nothin' at all.

I use Fructis Sleek and Shine leave-in conditioner. I love it. Since I got Brandy her tail has grown about a foot and is much thicker, and her mane has grown at least four or five inches. Her mane was pretty long in the first place, though. Now it's over two feet long.

Stichy 02-26-2013 12:48 AM

Oooh, soo gonna have to get that!

mysolarflare 02-26-2013 02:09 AM

I'm one of those people too, I'm obsessed with my mare having a long thick mane, I usually keep it braided, and take them out every two weeks and redo them, we mad alot of progress last summer, but lost it over the winter :(

Stichy 02-26-2013 03:31 AM

Oh no, mysolarflare! D: I hate it when my mare rips her mane out >.< Right after a "spa day" chunks of her mane go missing!

Kayella 02-26-2013 11:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Henny's mane and tail have grown about 2-3 inches since October. He has naturally thick, wavy hair that is just to die for. I cut his mane and tail for a halter show in October and his tail is already starting to grow past his hocks! Doesn't sound long, but seems to be an impressive feat for a 10 month old. Not the best pictures, but they're all I have at the moment.

I personally love coconut oil. It solidifies at around below room temp, though, so it's not always an option. I would put some on my fingers and just finger through his hair. Lately I've been mixing some leave in conditioner with water in a spray bottle, shaking the hell out of it to mix it together, then lightly misting his mane and tail. Then I'd comb through his mane with a large tooth comb and just massage it into his tail head. I plan on doing the same method with coconut oil once it stays warm enough for it to not solidify any time of the day. :)

dashygirl 02-26-2013 12:05 PM

Brush it out a lot too. That with MGT has helped my mare keep a long mane, and a tail that will drag on the ground if I allow it to!